1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 aprilia RSV4 Factory

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by B200 Pilot, Dec 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

$11,900
    4850mi
    ZD4RKUA22ES000090
    Clean Title
    Purchased May 2015, new
    Arrow slip on
    Race ECU since day 1
    Puig tail tidy
    Integrated tail light
    PSR block off plates
    Emissions equipment removed
    Motul 300V oil and OEM filter - zero miles since change
    New front brake pads

Located near St. Louis, MO

[email protected]

I wasn’t planning on selling my 2014 Factory at all, but I couldn’t pass up the deals being offered on the left over RF’s. The bike is in really good condition, but not in show room new condition. It has the usual chips on the bottom of the fairings from putting on the miles. It also has a small crack on the lower right fairing from a trailer loading mishap where I forgot to put the kick stand up, and the bike fell to the right. Luckily this is the only damage. The rear tire is worn, but the front still has tread. It has a Bridgestone S21 200/55 rear, and an RS10 front currently.

The bike runs excellent, but it does not have the original engine, as the original one spun a rod bearing after 8 laps at Putnam Park last April with 2900mi on the bike. Long story short, aprilia denied the warranty claim, so I had to find an engine myself. I found a complete engine from a 2012 RSV4R that I was told was in a front end collision at 100mi. I have no proof of the mileage, but I can say everything was really clean as I was doing the swap, and I seriously doubt it had more than 1000mi on it if they were lying about it having 100mi. I have put nearly 2000mi on this 2012 engine, including 3 track days this summer, but no racing. The engine runs excellent, and makes a lot of power. I’m not sure if it’s in my head but it feels more powerful than ever right now. I am asking less for the bike than I would be if it still had the original engine. When I did the swap, I put all the magnesium covers from my Factory engine, along with the 2014 throttle bodies, electronics, and variable velocity stacks. It has the aprilia gasket on the stator cover, the racing anti-slosh oil pan gasket, and I put AF1’s hose clamp kit on it while I was at it, and removed the SAS. I installed everything in accordance with the aprilia service manual, and I can guarantee you I took more time to make sure everything was right than your average dealer technician. This definitely wasn’t my first engine swap, or major mechanical job. I’ve been working on vehicles since before I could drive.

I did check the valve clearances before installing the engine, and they were as follows. I have done 2000mi with this engine, so no guarantees they are still the same.

LR EX
    OB: 0.20
    IB: 0.22

RR EX
    OB: 0.22
    IB: 0.20

LR IN
    OB: 0.127
    IB: 0.10

RR IN
    OB: 0.10
    IB: 0.12

LF EX
    OB: 0.20

RF EX
    OB: 0.22

LF IN
    OB: 0.10

RF IN
    OB: 0.12

As far as the warranty, I called a random aprilia dealer acting like I was buying my own bike and had them look up the warranty history. It showed the bike as still having warranty until 5/31/2017, and that the clutch cover was replaced at zero miles by the original dealer (xtreme powersports in MD), and the rear timing chain tensioner when they were trying to diagnose the noise coming from the engine when it had the spun rod bearing. I myself would have no worries about making a claim on anything that wasn’t the actual engine. I think making a claim on anything with the engine would be taking a gamble.

I have a lot of confidence in this bike right now, and I was planning on racing it next season. I’m actually more concerned about the RF I’m getting, because of the valve spring issues, and have had some doubts in my decision to get the RF.

Photo Album:

http://imgur.com/a/rIXUr

Startup after installing the 2012 engine:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Last Week likes this.
  2. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

Reduced to $11,500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

How can they deny the warranty on the engine that spun a bearing?? What was their reasoning?

4. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

aprilia Americas found my Facebook and Instagram pages, and saw the bike on the track. They saw the same picture as my avatar here.

5. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I love that. Build a bike and market it as the ultimate weapon (showing a rider on track flogging it) but deny a claim when used as such.... I guess they do expect the bike to be ridden to the local Starbucks and not beat on. I get the fact that doing so would cost them a ton of money but still pisses me off.

Last Week, B200 Pilot, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

No kidding! That's a bunch of BS. Shame on Aprilia for that. Ducati warranties their bikes regardless of where you ride them. Now I can see certain cases like if they have evidence that you did 2-minute long burnouts bouncing off the rev limiter the entire time...but track riding (track days, not racing) should not void a warranty.

7. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

I completely agree with you guys. I was thoroughly pissed, and put up a fight for a few weeks, but it is in the fine print of the warranty book that track riding voids the warranty unfortunately. Ridiculous that the bikes say #be a racer on them, and they are so quick to void a claim for doing what the bike was designed for.

sbk1198 likes this.
  8. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

$11,000

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Aprilia warning. Was thinking about a Tuono leftover but not anymore.

10. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

I think 2 changes in my decisions would have led to a different outcome with my warranty claim. 1. Don't post pictures/videos of your bike on the track on social media while it's under warranty. 2. Take your bike to the dealer you bought it from for warranty work. I bought a left over RF even knowing how aprilia handles their warranty claims. I like the bikes that much.

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Cool...good luck! Curious, where did you buy your RF? AFAIK, there are no St. Louis area dealers?

12. B200 Pilot

B200 Pilot Member

Xtreme Powersports, in MD. It's where I bought the 2014 too.

cpettit likes this.