1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 ZX6R Rear Tire Size. Pirelli or Michelin

Discussion in 'Tech' started by WERA443, Sep 21, 2019.

1. WERA443

WERA443 Old, fat guys race too.

Hi All,

It’s been a couple decades or so since I raced in the SE region and looking for some advice now that I am old and in AZ. I just bought a 2011 race prepped ZX6R for track days. We don’t have WERA here in AZ, so no race tire vendors to get advice from. What size rear DOT Michelin or Pirelli tires are you running on the 600s? The bike came with 200/55/17 Dunlop slicks, but that seems a bit wide to me. Maybe I’ve been out of the loop too long, but looking for advice on the size of DOT race tires to get. Let me know what size and manufacturer you are running. Contingency does not matter for my situation, so consistent feel and long wear are more important.

Thanks for your time.

-Wayne

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Look at pirelli tire selection

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d do a 180/60 rear.

Pirelli have their new “TD” trackday tire.

Michelin Power RS should work well, too. Or, Michelin Power Cup Evo, if those don’t work so well in the AZ heat.

4. WERA443

Thank you.

ducnut likes this.
  5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I am using Metzeler Compk slicks. I love them. They wear much better than the Q3+ I had been running. And the prices on them are great.

Edite: I would think 180/55 and 120/70 are the stock sizes, but I swapped to a 180/60 and love it

Dunlop Q4 and Pirelli TD tires are getting great reviews too

6. WERA443

Ah, interesting. Are Metzeler and Pirelli still the same company?

180 seems to be the right rear size so far. Looks like Pirelli doesn’t even make a 190 in the SCs. I am more interested in nimble handling than a wide rear tire. I guess a lot depends on the set up as well, but the fact that the 200 tires on the bike are not worn to the edge is a fairly good sign that they are too wide. Plus, ya know, I’m old, so not looking to push it that hard. (Said everyone until they got on the track)

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

These guys are great http://www.ctracetires.com and they are the Pirelli Vendor at WERA Las Vegas and California Speedway as well as Chuckwalla.

8. WERA443

Perfect, thank you! Found them online but wasn’t sure, thanks for the validation.

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Pirelli owns Metzeler, but everything I can find shows them operating as two individual companies. As in one isnt selling rebranded products from the other. They have separate R&D, different target customers, etc...

I got them here https://moto-garage.com/

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

IMO, you’re overthinking this. Pick something and run it. They’ll wear out quick enough. Then, pick something else from another manufacturer. You’ll figure out what you do/don’t like. So long as you stay at the sharp end of their tire range, you can pretty-well just focus on tire construction and how they feel to you.

The 180/60 size is plenty of tire to go fast. Their profile, alone, is a huge improvement.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Tire selection is done first and foremost by rim width. For 600cc and a 5.5 wide rim we have been racing a DOT or slick 180/60R17 for what 7 years now? Tire sizes like a 180/55, 190/50, or 190/55 are first and foremost original equipment sizes and not relevant for the BEST race tires and haven't been for years.

Pirelli offers these in 180/60R17
    DOT in 3 compounds
    Slick in 3 compounds
    And new this year a DOT track day tire (marked TD on the sidewall)

Read the Pirelli tire selection thread and you'll be up to speed. And of course talk to Chris at CT and he'll assist too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ducnut likes this.
  12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the 200/55 Dunlop slick worked great on 600s. then Dunlop also introduced a 180/60 just like all the other manufacturers and that works better.