1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 r6 smoking

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Sideshow, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

My bike was dropped at the church of scientology about 9 weeks ago by a security guard playing with my bike.Bike was off. Only seen damage was cosmetic and a cracked stator cover.

I just put the bike together last week. I drove about 60 miles and all seemed well.

I go to start the bike to leave work and this is what I get.

[​IMG]

I stop the bike. I check the oil and it is a bit high, but not that high. I drain the oil and get it to perfect amount.Pulled the airbox open and looked down the butterflies. No oil ponding down there .

I clean everything up and start the bike. It is still smoking , but lighter now on idle. If I give her gas she sprays out alot of smoke still just not as thick as in the pic.

Dropping the bike off at Dynoworks tomorrow , but scared shitless atm :( .

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

check your coolant? Probably a blown head gasket.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Whats the exhaust smell like? Smell like coolant or burning oil?

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Does the crankcase oil smell like gasoline and if it does can you get the oil on the stick to burn with a cig lighter?
    That's about the only thing I can come up with that would prevent doing an engine tear down.
    If it was on it's side long enough, oil would get past a piston and sit in the combustion chamber where it could partially hydro lock the piston which if the other three fire normally on start up while one has a load of oil, can and will damage the cyl, piston and rod in the "wet" hole.
    Part I can't figure is how you rode it for a while and THEN it only starts smoking on startup..unless it's an April fools joke somebody is playing on you...

5. Sideshow

Wish it was a joke. :( No one touches my bike and they know how serious I am about it.The bike was only on it's side a few minutes at most I was told from surveillance who watched the security camera. I will check this tomorrow . I drain some oil and the oil seemed fine.

Ya I rode the bike 3 days to and from work only. Ran fine an strong. This is what scares me te most.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. Sideshow

Check the radiator and the level is good. No color distortion.
    I removed the slipon and this is from this morning.

[​IMG]

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Again, whats the exhaust smell like? That much smoke it should be evident with just the smell what fluid is burning. Cant help you if you dont post anything besides the same stuff.

8. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Burning antifreeze/water mix will form a cloud but then slowly disappear where the smoke cloud from motor oil will linger for a much longer time.
    Also burning coolant has a sweet sort stink to it different from motor oil.
    I can't see from you latest pic what you are trying to show?

9. Sideshow

Smelled like oil and gas. Took it to Dynoworks and Donny brought the bike right in. Looks like oil was sucked up one of the vacuum lines and dumping oil into the airbox.

10. 2OLD2SLOW

2OLD2SLOW Well-Known Member

You're in good hands with Donny at Dynoworks... Let us know when you have a verdict.

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

That oil can linger too, especially if it gets into the exhaust without being burned first.