1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008-2009 r6 Front Compression questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dusty20, Jun 3, 2010.

1. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

Trying to put my forks back to stock and am having trouble finding information on the stock compression valves. I removed the stock compression valves and shims and put in an aftermarket 20mil kit. I am hoping that someone would be able to help me with a picture or some information as to the stock compression valve, shim and spring that goes in it and the order they are installed. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dustin

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What exactly are you having a problem with? This is a pic of a Penske 20mm kit installed. Stock piston fits the same way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Are you sure that compression assembly is correct? The parts that do the high speed adjustment have been re-installed.

Here is a pic of an Axxion valve installed (the one on the left) -

[​IMG]

To my knowledge there isn't anyone that retains the high speed compression on the forks.

4. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

Thanks, yea basically the shim stacks on each side of the valve, my high speed has been removed as well.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yes. Those are Penske 20mm valves. The high speed is backed all the way out and shimmed flush. It wasn't built that way on accident.

I think (but I'm not sure) that the paperwork that comes with the RT valves recommends leaving the hi speed bits in, but I can't remember the last time I looked at the paperwork that came with an RT kit.

When I've installed the Ohlins kits on the 06+ R6 forks, I remove it.

I've set up and/or freshened up a few sets of forks with Axxion kits in them, but never played around with different stacks with their valving or even given it a close look. Based on what I've felt out of their forks while doing setups trackside, it feels like they build those valves with a tight stack. Makes sense after seeing what the piston looks like. But, like I said, I don't have any real experience with the Axxion valves.