1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 GSXR600 caliper question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by murf, Feb 14, 2007.

1. murf

murf Well-Known Member

Do these bikes come stock with shims between the front brake calipers and the fork mounts? Just trying to find out if you can use the newer calipers on older 2004/5 forks and vice versa.
    Thanks

2. grich575

grich575 Well-Known Member

There are no shims on mine. Pretty sure they aren't used on the '06 model.

3. speedfreak177

speedfreak177 Well-Known Member

the 04-05 calipers are different.
    The 2006 have a raised seat on the lower fork tube and the caliper is larger at the bottom to slip onto the guide..

the 04-05 do not have a notch in the bottom of the caliper therfore they won't mount to the 06-07 forks and the 06-07 with the notch will be loose on the 04-05 lower forks...
    also the newer brake rotors are I believe like 20 mm larger and the wheels are different so you would probably have clearance issues either way..

Hope that helps, I think I sort of confused myself for a second there.

4. MegaVolt

MegaVolt WERA #723 Nv

Are you referring to a little metal ring that fits between the fork mount tube and the caliper? My 06 has those.

5. speedfreak177

speedfreak177 Well-Known Member

yep! The 04-05 doesn't have those, but as I see there is another thread on here that I Think says I'm wrong and it can be done with shims.

oh well my $.02 just went to $.00:confused: