1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 GSXR 600 Engine Trouble

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mshlans, Jun 8, 2007.

1. mshlans

mshlans Well-Known Member

Ok this is going to be hard to explain so bare with me here... I have a 2006 GSXR 600 which was converted into a track bike after roughly 4000 street miles. So far, it has been run in 2 track days and 5 sprints. I took a track day yesterday and noticed a noise coming from the engine that I had never heard before. I didnt notice it on the track, but only after I had returned to the pit. This is what I am hearing: idle - sounds fine, throttle up (from idle to 8,000) - sounds fine, throttle back down (from 8,000 back to idle) - I get an noise which sounds like an inconsistent firing pattern. It is no longer smooth like an inline 4 should sound. It almost sounds as if 1 of the cylinders is not firing. It is very subtle, but something I noticed none the less. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing with the same bike. I have heard it could be anything from being mis-tuned due to the fact that I am running almost everything stock (proposed solution, buy a PCIII and get it tuned) or something more severe like a bad exhaust valve. If anyone had any similar problems please let me know. Thanks!

2. Rodney Vest #310

Rodney Vest #310 Well-Known Member

3. socal

socal Well-Known Member

What if any codes are showing in dealer mode??

4. mshlans

No codes... I took her to Suzuki yesterday. One of the mechanics there told me it sounded as if the engine was running a little lean or perhaps the throttle bodies are a little out of sink. He said not to worry about it, that is was not that big of a deal and was definitely not a valve issue. The PCIII and Leo slip-on are going on the bike this week. might make the difference.

If anyone has any ideas, please keep em coming

5. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Sorry if i sound a little sceptical , but find a dyno with air fuel and i'd really like to know how he could tell the T-bodies are out of Sync!:rolleyes:

6. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Sorry I have nothing to add, but I am curious. If the throttle bodies were out of synch wouldn't that affect all throttle settings? Not just from upper mid to top end?

Are all of your connectors secure?

7. mshlans

This was just the words from a mechanic at Suzuki. He only listened to the bike. He was more convinced that the engine was running lean (causing the noise).
    There were no tests done... The idea of the throttle bodies being out of sink was just something he shot out there to pay attention to and possibly check out. I am still at a complete loss as to where this all came from or how to solve the issue. Everyone who has listened to it has said it is no big deal. However, it is something that was not there prior and something I would like to address before it becomes a bigger problem...

8. mshlans

I do not know the first thing about throttle body synch but it would make sense. Perhaps it is there throughout all throttle setting and I can only hear it auditory when the engine is at ts quietest.

If you are referring to the connectors attached to the injectors, I attached the PCIII after the problem started. The PCIII has you disconnect the wiring harness from the lower injectors and reconnect them all. Those are the only connectors I have checked.

9. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

I checked the sync of my throttle bodies on my 2006 GSXR 600 at 1000 street miles before putting it on the dyno... they were WAY, WAY off... from the factory...
    This could be some of your problem.

10. mshlans

looks like something I should definitely look into. Thanks!:beer:

11. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

yes, i meant electrical connectors you may have removed, sorry for being vague...

12. mshlans

Come to Think of it, I should prob go though the entire electrical system, at least what I can get to.

I had jumped the clutch wires so it would start without having to depress the clutch lever. Once the mechanic saw it he immediately told me to hook the wires back up. He said that the ECU retards the motor by at least 15HP when you have the clutch depressed and by jumping it, the ECU constantly thinks the clutch is lever pushed in. Just some food for thought. Didnt do anything for the engine noise and I have no way of testing it considering its never been on a dyno...

13. mshlans

Just an update.

I disconnected the PCIII than reconnected it. I then uploaded and sent an updated fuel map that I got off the Dynojet website. Put her back together and started her up ---- problem solved. Well not completely, it's still there but it's very very slight. Something I probably would never even notice if I wasn't looking for it. At least the fear of it being a valve issue can pretty much be ruled out.