1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003+ SV650 S versus Standard SV?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 12pointRacing, Apr 12, 2005.

1. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

Besides the fairings and the upper triple clamp, are there any other differences between the naked SV650 and the SV650S??

2. fatallightning

fatallightning ghost of the touge

naked sv is plus 1 on the rear sprocket i believe

3. 12pointRacing

well, considering the chain and sprockets will be tossed, that is no big deal at all. :)

I remember talk about the previous generations coming with "shorter" swingarms and "different" ECUs on the naked models - but I dont think that was ever really the case...but, I just want to make sure.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'll use the excuse that I'm not awake yet:p
    I belive it's the Standard that has a longer swingarm, and also a different rake.

5. 12pointRacing

Different rake or offset? Rake would mean a different frame, or a different linkage in the rear end?

And I guess the "longer/shorter" swingarm myth is not a myth at all?

6. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Triples can adjust rake.

7. 12pointRacing

This is sorta off-topic, but how can triples effect rake? I don't believe I have ever seen triples that are not parallel to the steering stem of the triple clamps?

Even Ducatis don't change their rake with their "adjustable" front ends - they are simply tightening up the wheelbase and changing the offset.

I am sure it is just too early and I am not thinking straight yet...:)

(Overall, what I am reading is that I really want an SV650 S if I want to build a racebike...?)

8. Huey130

http://www.attackperformance.com/products.htm

You can move the forks forward and aft off the steering stem (in theory... but I've never seen one that was adjustable like this). Or you can move the top forward and aft which in turn changes the rake (and the trail). Notice in the above catalog only the top gets changed.

It's really exaggerated in those choppers on TV. Are their heads really laid back that far? Nope. Offset triples.

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Huey can you show me any where on there where it syas I can change the rake with these. If you try to move the top and the bottlom clamp stays still then how in the hell will the forks slide through both clamps unless you also are able to tilt the top or bottom clamp.

Also if you read there intsructions
    Unless that they are now making a newer style and do not have instructions for them.

10. sculptor666

sculptor666 Well-Known Member

different clutch perch, different master cylinders.... 03 s model have different rearsets... upper and lower triple are different (i was able to squeeze an s model top triple onto my n model though).

11. Huey130

Show you what? Huh? I've had just about damned enough of you. Listen up and listen good!!! Why I give you a few freaking reasons as to why (I know you said "can" but it doesn't work with what I have to say, so I use "why"):
    1. I probably should of opened the garage door more than I should of when I was painting last night.
    2. I just found out last night my neighborhood is supposed to be haunted by the orginal land owner who was murdered here (didn't know about any of that till last night) so I didn't get a whole lotta sleep.
    3. That post was pretty close to lunch and you know all I think about from 1.5 hours out till when I'm actually eating is food.
    4. I read, typed, and thought too fast. I thought I'd stopped doing it but nope.
    5. My mom has admidtted to dropping me at least twice as a child but I'm sure the number is a lot higher.
    6. I didn't think Clariton D was supposed to make you feel this way. Either that or the mushrooms I ate in the 11th grade are finally kicking in.
    7. Did I mention the ghost?

Anyway please either disregard everything I said OR simply flip the parts where I was talking about one things with the parts where I meant the other.

PS: Next time try to be more of an asshole when you call me out and less of a smartass please.

12. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Nah I much rather be a smarmy...........I know you like it like that.:D

13. Cedric Smith

Cedric Smith Active Member

Didn't the TLR have a kit insert for the steering head to change the rake inside the frame? BTW, I've installed some of those offset triple clamps on cruisers and tourers and it always blows me away how much machining must go into them to get the angles just right for what can't always be an exact distance apart.

14. Cedric Smith

Cedric Smith Active Member

How did we get here from a stock SV question?

15. Huey130

From the question about Rake and Offset.

16. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

Since the frame is the same, I suspect the difference in rake is due to different preload on the rear shock!

Similarly the difference in wheelbase is just because of the difference in the rear sprocket and a 2-link longer chain... it's just adjusted to a different position, the swingarm is the same.

17. dilligaf

dilligaf Member

Whenever I have a question about a part fitting I always go to www.ronayers.com and check the Suzuki part numbers. That is how I confirmed that a GSXR front uses the same stem bearings as the '03 SV.

I know the older (99-02) SV's had different rearsets. I found this out when I put an '00 SVS rearset on my '00 naked. I don't know if the 03-05 use the same method of changing the rider position.

I found a list of differences on the 99-02 SV/SVS somewhere. It might have been www.socalsvriders.org

Steve