1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2002 gsxr 750 track build recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Darren E, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Darren E

Darren E Member

Hey Everyone.

So I came across an old 02 gsxr 750 that I traded some repair work for. Yes, the bike cost me nothing. I’m working on a track build and am trying to figure out a rear shock for this thing.

I’m picking up parts and building out slowly but surely, but my big question is what do I do with the rear shock on this bike? Any recommendations to swap in from another year?

I’m not racing anymore, not setting the track on fire. But figured it would be nice to have something suitable to push a bit without caring whether or not I throw it down the road...

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

3. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

4. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Hi Darren,

I picked up an 03 750 and doing the same as you. If you don't pick up that Ohlins, you can go with an 04/05 600/750 stock shock. Supposed to be a bit better. I got mine on Ebay but the bumper was trashed so now I get to mess around and rebuild it or just buy another one. They are less than $40 shipped. Might be able to get a bit better documented one for a bit more money.

Mine is about done, just waiting on a new Power Commander and I should be ready for a test ride.

Darren E likes this.
  5. Darren E

Darren E Member

Thanks bro. Yeah she was in rough shape to say the least. Just got her re-wired and running... Shoot me a pm. Want to pick your brain a bit if you’re up for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That generation likes the rear raised and the front lowered. Shim the rear and pull the forks up above the triple.

Canadian Bacon and Darren E like this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Just remembered, I have a rear wheel with a brand new disc on it and a couple radiators for that bike if you need anything.

Darren E likes this.
  8. Yep, that was before you had the raise the bike to 4x4 levels

9. Bob Miller

Bob Miller Well-Known Member

I ran one of these bikes for awhile. Actually pretty damn nice rides. I ran a revalved stock shock on mine with race-tech valve and it worked pretty good. Honestly for just doing track days a fresh oem shock would prob do you fine. With the newer shocks having slightly improved internals if you aren't wanting to sink a lot into it i would just freshen up a newer shock and call it good. I have a oem shock off a 07 750 you can literally have for cost of sending it to you. About 2 months ago i literally threw in the garbage a full set of Shark Skinz for it as nobody local wanted them and shipping is insane on that stuff. Was tired of it taking up a whole lot space in the garage.

Darren E likes this.