1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 SV650 "Signal Generator"

Discussion in 'Tech' started by IrocRob, Oct 17, 2020.

1. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Anyone have any knowledge of these things?
    Service manual says peak voltage "greater than 3.0" and a couple resistance values.
    I am measuring 2.86 peak voltage and the resistance values measure good.

If you have measured these before any idea what a typical new one, or a t least a good one measures?
    Is that 2.86 voltage value within the range of acceptable variation for these things or do I need to replace it?

I am wondering if my meters, or the peak voltage adapter, may be affecting the reading.
    Peak voltage was checked with two different meters just because I have two of them,
    but I used the same peak voltage adapter on both meters.

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Assuming that the signal you are trying to measure is a pulsed or AC signal and you are measuring with a standard volt meter:

Most volt meters measure average voltage, not peak. Some measure RMS voltage, but that is still not peak voltage.

To measure peak voltage, a oscilloscope or a special peak-reading meter is needed.

If an average-reading meter is reading 2.86, the peak voltage is likely ~1.4x the reading. 2.86 x 1.414 = 4.04