1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

200 rear on 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HoyaXC07, Jun 8, 2016.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I bought an old k5 gsxr 600 track bike that I'm racing in my first race at Road Atlanta. It came with a 200 Michelin on the back. I'm planning on tracking it at barber Monday, do I need to put a 180 on first? The tires are fine for a track day, but the size seems wrong. I don't think I could even get a warmer between the tire and swing arm hah. Is running a big tire on a 600 even a thing? My other bike is an S1000rr I've tracked a lot so I like a big tire to hammer on.

Thanks!

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

180 or 190

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Should be a 5.5" rim on the 600 (unless someone swapped a 1000's 6.0" rim on there), which isn't the ideal size for a 200 tire. However, if it's already on there, while it's not ideal, it's not un-safe. I'd run it and then pick up the proper tire after you burn up the 200.

4. 1bronco

1bronco Well-Known Member

Swap a 180/190 on it if you can. A 200s profile will be off. You will end up thinking about it all day instead of enjoying the track.

5. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Good to know. Anyone know what tire folks will be at STT at barber on Monday?

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Dunlop's slick is as far as I know a 200. No problems.

7. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

You should be fine.

The 180/60 pirelli is actually the same size as the 200.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

In a Michelin, we prefer the 180 or 190. STT should have some at the track. We'll be at Road Atlanta selling them. We'll still be offering the buy 2 rears, get a front free deal also. We'll be there late Thursday on through the weekend doing Michelin and Bridgestone tires.