1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 years now, where'd they go?

Discussion in 'General' started by TSWebster, Aug 18, 2014.

1. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

When I roll the Hawk on the track at Talladega this weekend, it will mark 20 consecutive years that I have raced it at least one weekend. When I first started I was just going to race for few years to get it out of my system. I've been unable to do that so far. I have raced a few other bikes over the years, but the Hawk has been the mainstay. Motorcycle racing has introduced me to many good friends and given me many great memories. I cannot imagine what I would have done without it.

And for the Hawk haters? It still has the original crank in it.

2. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

here's :beer: to 20 more!

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Loved racing my Hawk, and my street Hawk. Still think they're great bikes.

But, what happened? The SV650 happened.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Pure effin awesomeness.:clap::beer:

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

:D Glad to be able to say I have raced you and it. :beer:

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Very cool, Steve.

7. TSWebster

You've had a hand in it and thank you for that.

8. TSWebster

Just wish I could beat you once in while.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:up:

10 years this year for me, ridden my SV in at least one race each of those years.

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Steve , since I got back into racing in 2011 I think I've raced against you maybe 8-10 times.

Everytime watching you wield that Hawk around the track was a thing of beauty. And you were always quite kind when you lapped me.

Congrats man!

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's easy. You just need to show up on a weekend when he's worked on the bike himself. :D

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cool bike but the rear rim was too narrow. You could run stock and run bricks or send it off to Kosman and have it widened and run bricks. It was also underpowered.

Really, a neat bike but the SV took it behind the barn and put two behind its ear.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

steve I can't believe it's been 20 years. but then again it's been many years since I actually turned a lap "in anger". lol..

BTW for the hawk folks, we are having a South East Hawk Rally in Suches GA, at Two Wheels of Suches the weekend of Sept 19-21st. info on the hawk forum, facetoobs, or PM me for details. Just a bunch of current/former hawk owners getting together for the weekend. quite a few of them ex/current racers. Might even be a few for sale over the weekend. i haven't had a hawk in a few years but that might change in the near future.

Dave K- my last track hawk would put most SV's to shame, but you are right the SV was the death of the racing Hawks for the most part. cheap to race and get parts for them. Hawkenstein was a bit temperamental. The ultimate rat hawk. Looked rough, but ran wicked. too bad the rider wasn't quite up to the task. Maybe it's current owner has plans to race it one day?

14. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

when it is in ya blood there is no way out man.

15. TSWebster

Don't really get to beat him then. He never makes it out on the track.

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Love my Hawk too. It only gets street duty though.

17. TSWebster

Rear rim is fine. Handles a 160. Front rim was only a 2.50. I did have mine widened to 3.50 by Kosman but it was fairly expensive. Or if you weren't running stock classes you could run an F2 wheel. They weigh a ton though. JD helped me with the power problem. When the grids were larger, we could consistently work our way about halfway up into the SVs in the Dsuper/lt.wt.ss race.

18. TSWebster

I plan on being there for this, Jeff.

19. TSWebster

Thanks for the kind words, Kelly. I kept hoping you'd build that fzr and get it out there.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've got an RZ in the shop being transformed :cool: