1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 stroke design/simulation software . . . ?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by rohorn, Jun 23, 2015.

1. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any advice/experience/? with any of the 2 stroke design and engine simulation software that's still available?

All I know about MOTA or Bimotion is what's on their (Old looking) websites.

Thanks.

2. edgefinder

edgefinder Well-Known Member

2 strokes are still being developed and the best software is engmod2t from Neels van Niekerk. What are you building??

http://vannik.co.za/index.htm

3. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Thanks for that!

Long winded answer: Looking into building a very light & small roadracer from scratch around a big 2-stroke single. At first, the KX500 looked fun, interesting, and all that, but I'm now under the impression that the stock transmission ratios would make gearing a pain (No alternative gears available, as far as I can tell) - and that the increased displacement is offset by a big drop in revs. Now something like the YZ250X or KTM 300XC is looking more promising, I . . . think.

Main reason for wanting the software is to play with the port timing, head geometry, and most important of all, pipe design on the computer to avoid making too many paperweights and conversation pieces. Even if I don't mess with the inside of the engine, I'll still have to fab up a pipe.

And if this is a path that has been taken before with little/no success, well, I'd rather not learn the hard way.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Oh, hey, we should talk. I'm setting up a 1992 WR250 for road racing as we speak.

5. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

The project is currently in the "I'm gonna" stage - no engine on hand - yet. The racebike will get built - just trying to settle on an engine.

6. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

There's a lot of work to do now...

Attached Files:

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

8. Driift

Driift Member

you need Tom Turners TSR software from Ed Erlenbach. Tom retired a few years ago ....... I have a RD400 stage two hot street motor built by Tom, its insane.

Tom Turner, master two stroke Tuner, Pipe builder, and the man that developed
    TSR Two Stroke Racing Software designed and built his 424cc Yamaha RD400
    Dragbike to develop and prove his racing design software and prove it, it did.
    Taking 49 national records and holding the world record set in 1986 for 16+ years.
    Tom retired in 2010 after a long and successful career.

http://erlenbachracing.co/index.htm

9. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

have fun with that non counterbalanced single in a road racer.... we just switched out to a Quadzilla motor for that exact reason.

10. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Part of the reason for choosing this engine was to test a counterbalancer design.

Thanks for the TSR link - that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  11. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

Oh man, awesome! Interested. I looked at the kx500 engine and couldn't find a feasible place to mount one unlike the CR500 that a guy in Australia did.