1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Track Day 1st Track Bike

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by fivespotshooter, Jan 10, 2011.

1. fivespotshooter

fivespotshooter Active Member

So I made the mistake of spending a ton of money on a 2010 R1 and setting it up for the track. I spoke to the guys at Team Promotion and was told to use a 600cc bike so I picked up a 07 R6 with 3000 miles for a decent price.
    I don't have the money I did before the R1 but I want to set this bike up to learn on. So far I have added:

Penske double clicker set for my weight
    re-valved and sprung the front with racetech valves and springs
    sharkskinz body work
    Took the kick stand off and switch
    scotts steering damper

don't know what tires to get thinking pilot ones?

Basically all I did was suspension because of my weight and body work. Is there anything else I need to do for a beginner track bike?

Also I am a large guy 320lbs:eek: what if any advice do you guys have for a first track bike first time going to the track? Also any advice for larger guys would be welcome.

Attached Files:

2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

i run track days and not race, but i would look at gearing. i was larger too when i started (285, now 230 :) because of my track addiction) and especially with an R6, you have so much rev and lack the torque down low that i think it will help.

you also need to review the rules of the track/race organization that you will use and see if they require safety wiring or silicon or something on oil caps, filters etc. prior to hitting the track. removing antifreeze is pretty standard too.

3. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are on the right track.. biggest thing is just getting out there with any bike and doing it... Your bike is PLENTY! You won't need anything else.. Power One's will be a FINE tire for your first track day. Just take what you have and go tear it up!

4. Bail

Bail Well-Known Member

Brakes. At the very least, switch out to some braided front lines and use a high temp fluid.

5. cowboy600rr

cowboy600rr Well-Known Member

you've got a great start. i'd get some frame sliders. also, it was always recommeded to me to get replacement case covers (Woodcraft, NRC, GB, etc...) as they were cheaper than having to replace the factory part. suspension is always key and you're set there!

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I guess I'll be the bad guy here. Interesting thread, but this is a new racer forum, not a trackday forum. Are you going to be a new racer? You should be. Take your bike and go to a WERA rider's school and start racing. Track days are not a prerequisite to racing, I'm not even sure they help.

Ken

7. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

Racing beats track days hands down. Some of the best people I've met were through racing. Some of the biggest jerks were at track days.

8. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Money spent on your personal protection is the best initial investment - a high quality 'proper fitting' helmet, quality 'proper fitting' leathers, boots, gloves, back and chest protection, ear plugs - you get the picture...

Steel-braided brake lines and good quality pads are a good upgrade as well as case protectors and crash sliders.

And you may want to keep the kick stand on - it's a track bike and you are a newbie to the track... Trust me, the weight isn't going to significantly affect you and you'll be glad you still had the kick stand available...

9. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

fuel tank sliders/protectors. explodabike...

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'll say what someone told me back when I was on my '93 F2: "it's not the bike that needs improving."

spend money on seat time and protecting yourself. period. At some point, your pace will dictate that suspension, etc. are required to make that pace safe(r). Until then, invest in you.

11. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

What others have said. Stop spending money on your bikes. Go ride. Spend that money on making sure you are good gear for your body and on education.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why do you assume that will be needed?

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Just put the proper rate fork and shock springs for your weight, and you're all set to start. As you get your feet wet you'll figure out what if anything else is needed.