1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994Yam YZF750R front and rear brake pad shims

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FED34FIRE, May 19, 2018.

1. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get brake pad shims for my 94 YZF750R? There no longer available from Yamaha. I would imagine they are to control heat transfer. I had my calipers rebuilt and finished by powerhouse UK. They must have tossed mine cause your supposed to replace each time. Has anyone ever ran without them? CAn they be fab? Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Henry

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Those are the first thing to hit the scrap pile on every one of my bikes when I change pads. Tens of thousands of miles later, I don't know any different.
    I think they're more for "brake squeal" than heat, but I don't know. Consider the average rider, never doing any real cleaning maintenance down there, and anti-squeal makes sense.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Like Freddie said, you don't need them, I wouldn't bother trying to find any. I've tossed alot of them over the years.

4. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes,I've tossed them in the past also. I just never want to take chances especially with a race bike that is 24 years old.lol. Very appreciated everyone.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

If it is the heat shield that clips on to the backing plate, you are correct that it helps limit heat transfer.

It actually works very well so if you are racing and encounter any issues, I would look for some, if I were you.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It is actually a heat shield, not a shim. So yes, it prevents excessive heat transfer. Use good quality brake fluid and keep your calipers very clean and it shouldn't be a problem.