1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

180 Stones on an F3 ??

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Shannon Huffman, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Shannon Huffman

Shannon Huffman Well-Known Member

Will it work? Will I have any problems? Thinking about making the jump from Pirelli's and I have a 180 rear on hand ...... thoughts? Stick?

2. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

hey shannon. i'm sure stick will advise you run the 165. i never ran the 180, but everyone who has tried always went back.

jared ran a 180 for the 1st half of the season on his '95 yamaha and said that the 165 stone was way better. i think the 180 has a tendency to spool up quicker.

did you race much in '08?

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I'm running 170's

4. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Yes, it'll work fine. Without going into your choice of tyre mfgr, it's a fairly common mod for SV racers to use the 5" F3 rear wheel in order to have the wider selection of race compounds that's available in the 180 size.

I haven't looked whether you've also asked this question in the Tech section. But if you ask (or better still, do a search) about 180 on a 5" wheel, you'll see many comments.

Now, even with all that. I suppose there may be a difference in the geometry of a F3 vs. an SV that might make a diff. But really I doubt it'd be enough of a diff that a mere mortal kinda racer will notice.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yes it will work fine. I have run them both back to back, and the 180 felt ok and if I had never run the 165 I wouldn't see a problem with it. After running the 165, it just felt more planted and overall better. I tried the 180 slicks and DOT's, and still liked the 165 better.

so, you can do that and you will be happy, until you try the 165. Then you won't like it as well. As a bonus, the 165 costs almost $20 less than the 180 this year.

6. Shannon Huffman

Shannon Huffman Well-Known Member

So I guess what you're saying is .... run the 180 .... win some contingency money ..... and then buy a 165 ..... correct? :up:

7. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Well-Known Member

My vote is the 165 for sure but if you have the 180 you can use it first and then compare it with the 165. Just my two cents:)

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yup. Run it if you have a guud one, and then we will get you on the right track, so to speak.

9. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Another vote for run what ya got.......but move to the 165 after that.