1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17 R6 Fuel pump filter sock replacement

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ibidu1, Sep 3, 2023.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Ive been searching online, for photos or part number for the filter on the fuel pump. I want to replace mine, as my bike has a hard cold start. The bike runs great! But, its 6 years old and I would like to change it. Anybody ever replaced theres, is it just like any other bike on the bottom?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is it clogged or dirty? Quantum sells replacement socks

3. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Just a long cold start, sometimes the bike doesnt fire up the first shot. It gives me a long engine cranking, before it fires up. When it does start, it sputters a bit and then runs normal. Stock ecu mapping. Its 6 years old, its gotta be clogged! Ive replaced plugs, cleaned the throttle body. Im thinking either filter sock or dirty injectors.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

How many miles? Valve adjustment?

5. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

8k miles, never had a valve adjustment. Ive had some weird ticking that rarely comes after I finish a race and only when I drive the bike in the garage. I always thought it was the hydraulic cam chain tensioner, backing out and then it goes away after a restart.

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

My 17 R6 is the same. Stock motor with 6K miles, Tuned and exhaust. Starts fine when warm, but cold start takes forever. I am about to build the motor so not too concerned with it for now. Will know when builder tears into it.

7. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Isn’t the hard cold start for the 2017s a known problem? I’ve heard about it over the years, so I’m guessing there is a solution out there.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yah hold the start button longer and be sure the battery has a good charge

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The sock is not hard to change, IIRC it's not a listed part? Might be wrong. We used to get them straight from Yamaha.

10. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

11. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I went to the yamaha dealer today, and he told me the fuel pump filter are not seperate. You have to buy the whole pump, so I may go aftermarket option, or just leave it alone. If guys are saying this is a common issue, guess I gotta just deal with it

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It can be an issue, but it won’t affect idle. Probably not going to solve your problem.

13. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

A restriction there would affect WOT performance more than anything. When the fuel flow requirement is at its highest, if there were a restriction, it would cause fuel pressure to drop and result in a lean condition.