1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 inc Racing Tires?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by DUFF, Jun 29, 2002.

1. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

Any of you vintage people know where to get 16 inch racing compound tires, FAST!!

Thanks

2. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Front or rear? What size? The last 16's I remember seeing on the track were back when the CBR900RR came out with a 16" front.
    My old 750 Duc streetbike has 16" wheels, and it's darn tough to find even street tires for it. May have to go to later model 17" wheels.

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Bridgstone makes em. I think you can still fand Metzler fronts as well. I'm not so sure about the rears. Good luck!!

4. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

Ruh Roh, that's about what I thought, the fronts aren't too bad to find, but I suppose the rears could spell trouble. I appreciate the quick response, I think I'm going to have to tell my friend that he needs to convert to 17 inchers..

Thanks!

5. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

is this for an EX ?

6. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

www.accwhse.com has metzler comp-k listed with a 120-80/16 front, and a 140-?/16 rear. I think these were used for racing.

they also have dunlop gt501s listed in 16's. I saw a guy running them on a rd 400 and he liked them.

7. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's for my friend's 87' EX, he was hoping to do the WERA racing school this weekend, but we are having some problems getting the bike to WERA specs.

The exhaust headers are attached with open ended nuts, not sure how to safety wire them, and I haven't been able to find any drillable hex nuts. Anybody got any advice?

Thanks for the website with the tires, I will check it out.

Thanks!!

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Get some wing nuts from your local hardware store and use them on top of (in addition to) to the stock nuts. Easy to drill! You may have to grind away some of the "wing" for clearance. If this is illegal, the WERA tech guy missed it on mine:eek:

9. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

What hex nuts are "non-drillable". :confused:
    It's not fun to drill a 12mm hex, but I've drilled them for the exhaust on my bike.

10. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

The Metzler tire you want is a Comp K compound and the rear size is a 140-80-16.

For your exhaust nuts try acorn type nuts which are easier to drill through. I think they are what came standard on the EX.

11. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

It's not that I can't drill the hex nut, it's the fact that I can't find a metric hex nut at any Atlanta hardware store that is the problem.

Thanks for the wing nut advice, the rulebook seems to allow for that. I'm gonna' have to try that, or just drill through the bolt and wire the bolt.

12. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

JBall

Thanks for the info, I think I have now got these problems solved..

13. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Speciality Bolt section at Home Depot, or Lowes has metric, they are in the little drawers not the bag section. PepBoys has a great Metric selection