1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16.5 marchesini 6 rear rim on 06 gsxr 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by lrrs699, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

Thinking of purchasing a set of marchesini for my 06 gsxr600,
    Rims were originally meant for gsxr1000 so rear rim size is 6.0. Stock is 5.5
    Seller had drive/spacers machined to fit right up to the 600.

Question is: Has anyone else run this setup? How did it effect performance,handling, etc? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

2. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

Anyone have any kind of input at all?

3. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

sounds like a bad idea. Only development in 16.5's are in MotoGp.WSBK?
    AMA is going to be all 17", plus, you can only run slicks.

4. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

Provided the machined spacers were made professionally and accuratly there isn't a problem in doing what you are suggesting

However, the response directly above mine is probably more important. With professional racing moving towards mandated use of 17inch rubber, the 16.5 technology and availiblity is going to decrease

After speaking with my tire vendor (Vanmar Racing Denver, Colorado) it appears that 16.5s will be availible this season, but it is unknown in what quanity. That alone scared me off from taking on the expense of 16.5 wheels

Just my .02

Joe

5. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

One more thing I could not help but think... Do you really need that much tire on a 600? I know the bling factor is off the charts, but I'd look for some 17" marchesinis.

6. mq105

mq105 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'd be hurting yourself from a performance standpoint because of the weight. You don't have the power on SS 600 to turn that big 16.5. Get a 16.5 tire/wheel assembly and compare it to a 17; you'll be surprised at the weight difference.

7. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

Thanks guys, i will take you advise and stick to 17

8. vanilla4215

vanilla4215 Well-Known Member

I've swapped some marchesini's on a GSXR and we used same spacers. All we had to change was the sprocket carrier. The 600/750 used the same carrier, but the 1000 one is thicker I think.

9. Apollo1977

Apollo1977 My Ride: '02 SV650S

hey vanilla4215 - do you know where to purchase stuff like the sprocket carrier, or more importantly the front rotor carriers (for an 04 GSXR750)??

10. vanilla4215

vanilla4215 Well-Known Member

http://www.tawvehicle.com/ is where I got the Marchesini sprocket carrier. Not sure what you mean by the front rotor carriers. Do you mean the brake rotors?

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Michelin will have a NEW LINE of 16.5" tires. Not sure if they will have 5.5 and 6 or just 6". Guys.. club racing is Michelin's focus right now. A 16.5" front tire has MASSIVE grip. I ran one on my 1000 when i had it and could not loose the front.. the one time i raced it on a DOT 17 i crashed. Im not the best example, and in talking with top suspension guys a 16.5 front slick is alomost too much grip for a 600 without doing offset tripples.
    Brian Stokes raced Rocky Stargel's FX r6 a few years back and used the 16.5" slicks on both front/rear. Brian loved them from what he told me.
    Again, talk to you suspension guys but as far as "no technology" advance in the 16.5 that is not really true. Michelin is releasing a new line of 16.5 slicks in a few compound choices.. i just dont' know when they are to be released.