1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 year old interested in Superbike Racing.

Discussion in 'General' started by VianteSBK, Aug 10, 2012.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Because I'm sure it involves writing sentences.

:crackup: I can't believe you're still defending this!:crackup:

Nazis. That damn apostrophe again. :D

2. yamaha_intern

yamaha_intern Money cant buy knives

Not sure if troll or not, but funny stuff either way!

If you are serious like you claim, I can give you some advice from my experience. I’m currently a senior in college (studying Mechanical engineering) and I started racing my freshman year. I turned 18, bought a r6 and jumped in to the race scene, kinda like you are planning to do. However, I had been riding dirtbikes since I was 6. A little more experience then you.

Anyway, like everyone is saying, racing is a lot tougher than you think. My first time I went to the track was for my race school and I had trouble just keeping up with the instructors! AND that was with 12 years of dirtbike experience. You may be a prodigy, but I believe you will probably have a similar experience your first time.

That being said, racing is still tons of fun and totally possible to do while in school. I just did as many races/trackdays as I could afford. Which, these guys are right again; expenses are a lot more than you think. I am only just now able to do a full race series this year because I am fast enough to earn a lot of contingency in the novice class and offset some expenses. Can’t wait for school to be over though so I can focus more on racing!

My advice to you would be buy your 250, do a race school and as many trackdays as you can before the first race next season. (Team Chicago does an awesome cheap race school at Grattan in April every year; it’s where I got my license). Then take your 250 racing. Do as many classes as you can afford and as many trackdays you can. Spend your money on track time, not bike upgrades. Right now experience is what’s slowing you down. After you do a season on the 250, sell it and get a 600. The meat grinder class will really wake you up! You’ve gotta learn fast here Lol. Again spend your money on track time and then upgrade the bike as you start getting pretty good. Once you’re to this point you’ll probably know where to go next.

As for the mini racing, that’s a good idea too. Tons of fun and cheap. It’d be great to get in this season if you can for the experience. Good luck!

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

And crash big. :crackup:

4. earacing

earacing Race Dad

If I were writing a school report, then I would proofread to make sure my grammar and punctuation were perfect.

Never too early to start.

:D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. VianteSBK

VianteSBK Well-Known Member

Please?

Attached Files:

6. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Wrong idiom.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I gave this a bit more thought, and if we're being realistic...

The quickest and 'easiest' way to afford racing might be to skip college, resign yourself to being single and living with your parents for the rest of your life, and then get a job working for STG or RidersDiscount.

I doubt their sales and customer service staff are rolling in money, but it's their business to be at the track, and having employees who are proficient riders gains them credibility.

That's not "professional racing," (although I know a handful of those guys are AMA fast) but it's working racing into your professional life. Not a bad compromise if you're able to accept a somewhat modest living, and work your ass off.

But then again, there are probably fewer people who can do that than there are AMA pro's...

8. VianteSBK

I'm most likely just going to take racing up as a hobby (As said earlier), but if I'm the next Biaggi, I'll let you know.

Attached Files:

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sweet, we won't ever be hearing from you again. :D

10. VianteSBK

Is that your spouse as you avatar?

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If your last name is in fact Fruit, we'll know soon enough.

12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

[​IMG]

14. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

what's wrong with living with your parents and why would you have to be single?

;)

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

You would be better off with something like this.
    [​IMG]

16. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

LOL Dude I made that!

Look kid good luck. Nothing wrong with having a dream and chasing it. Just know your way behind the 8 ball on this dream of being a pro. Theres a pile of kids out there that arent even teen agers yet that are turning faster lap times than many of the club racers. Theres a bunch of little kids like mine with Dads who are rabid about this sport who are throwing wheel barrows full of cash at our kids to give them a chance at making it. They are 11 and 12 years old riding $15,000 GP bikes, doing every trackday, every race and every pro school they can get to. They are stomping adults on big bikes and most of them already have eyes on them by the "Pro Teams". AND EVEN THEN most of us understand that the chances of our kids making it are slim. So when you go out at age 16 you need to know that some of those kids out there your going to be running against for wins and sponsorship dollars already have 10 years of racing on you and fairly deep pockets behind them.

Now, go race. Go race for fun and personal reward. Go race because the people you meet and become friends with are amazing. Go race because you want to push your self. Dont go race because you think your going to be a pro racer in 3 years cuz your arent.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Looks just like it did when Chaotic was riding it. :crackup:

18. VianteSBK

Reminds you of your Childhood memories, doesn't it?

Attached Files:

19. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Alright. Youre ok in my book. That comic made me lol

20. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

This thread is hilarious! It sounds like some of the resumes kids send me. They know they are fast yet none have raced! Talk is talk. Posting is posting! None of it counts until you actually do it: Racers race!