1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

140 MPH car race crash

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

2. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

"the real danger isn't street racers, its dark comets" LOL

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

4. Jokerzwild

Jokerzwild Active Member

There is a time and place for everything. The LIE wasnt it. T/G that station was empty they coulda hurt or killed plenty. This is why man made track days. At least everyone out there knows the risks and your not taking out a family of 4. I agree the bail was a lil high considering there was zero injury. But none the less they were lucky to even be alive to post it.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

f'ing idiots

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

We just had a case here in the Cincy area where a 17 year old stole Dad's Porsche, then got into a race with an Acura.

Acura hit a Jeep with two 17 year old girls in it, rolled the Jeep into a front yard.

Thank God the girls had their seatbelts on, only "minor" injuries. :clap:

Stupid is all over.... :mad:

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Only $75K and the parents are pissed? Dumbasses!

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I must be really behind the times cause they must have really done some serious breathing on the Dodge Neon. As far as I've known, you couldn't get 145 mph out of one of those things if you dropped it off a cliff.

Have they changed?

9. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Srt4 neon probably, turbo charged 4 cylinder. Cheap and easy to get a lot of power out of. Still a neon though. Do a search of the best of and there is a thread about a guy who has one...

10. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

And with a 10% bond all they needed was $7500. Too bad the kid probably wrecked the most valuable asset they had

11. sheepofblue

But the reason quoted was not that but to set an example. Also given the morons totally wadded up their car their ability to continue being a hazard was significantly less. Of course there is also this little thing called assumption of innocence that the judge violated.
    They should be pissed that their little snowflakes are idiots.
    I think a cash bond means you need all 75K

12. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

10% to a bail bondsman. Bondsman puts upmthe other 65k

13. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Racers race. Isn't that the quote?

I'm sure everybody would like to take it to the track, but that's expensive. I know none of you is going to be the first to say "If you can't afford to do it, don't do it". That's not the American way.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

How much more racing can you do with $75,000 in your pocket and not sitting in jail?....oh, and not having your car BBQ'd?

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, kids today have machines that far exceed the skill levels that they, the kids themselves, have. It's the old case of a ten horsepower driver attempting to control a high horsepower car. All I can add to that is that "except for the grace of God, there go we." All of you do understand what I'm saying. Don't you?

Hell, the best I could get out of my hotrod 59 Chevy was about 130 flat out, drunk, trying to straddle the center line on the highway going home. We didn't drink until the racing was over. :)

16. Jokerzwild

Jokerzwild Active Member

Those lil cars can really scoot. The kids around here love em. Cheap, light, easy to find performance parts for, and insainly fast when they are dialed in correctly. But like some of the others said (im paraphrasing here) It dont matter how bad azz your ride is....If you dont have the skills and maturity to understand and control your machine then your simply asking for a world of hurt!
    And Track time isnt all that expensive. Its only about $50-100 bucks to hit the local strips here depending on the day and events that are taking place at the time. Sure beats killing yourself or someone else, trashing your car, and then having to deal with paying the fines and damages for all the property you destroyed. I cant say I have NEVER done things like this growing up. But I was smart enough to make sure it was in a far safer place then the frigin LIE running from the cops.:tut:

17. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

I did an awful lot of stupid crap when I was younger & dumber, and by the grace of God got away with it. Difference is, I had parents willing to act as a check on my dumb ass, and today, well it ain't 1975 no more.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry, but what they did, IMHO, shows a total disregard for themselves and anyone else. The article references no specific message, but if the message is we aren't going to put up with this level of stupid anymore, bravo. Bail has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. It is supposedly a guarantee that you will show up for trial. The presumption of innocence is still there.

The parents should have been pissed at junior, not the cops or courts. They were VERY fortunate they were not looking at manslaughter or murder charges.

19. sheepofblue

"Court observers said even though no one was seriously hurt and there was no alcohol involved, the judge set a relatively high bail to send a message."
    Not stated by the judge though, you are correct.

As to the endangerment it is not based on the accused act but suspected future behavior. If either idiot had multiple convictions it might be reasonable to assume that there might be cases of public endangerment however even that is a stretch. If it was based on the accused act no murderer or armed robber should be granted bail based on the act. As to guaranteeing they show :crackup: Yep the punk kid is going to flee to Canada for this :Pop:

So my statement on presumption of innocence being violated was based on the send a message comment.

And I agree the little snowflakes need a butt kicking by dad. We were FAR from perfect but there was some things that sent Dad off the deep end like the night my brother ran from the cops in Dads truck. He stopped but Dad was ticked that he even started to run in his truck. These kids were out of control and deserve no sympathy.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm thinking the $75k bail might just keep some other idiot from doing the same thing. Probably not, but one can hope.