1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

125s ROCK!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by LAR, Aug 27, 2003.

1. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

My wonderful husband bought me a 125 a few weeks ago, and I got to ride it for the first time this past Monday during a NESBA track day. He sold my aprilia rs250 for the tz125. I was really nervous about getting on the bike for the first time, but my first session out I was in total love. This *has* to be the greatest bike ever.

It's going to take me a while to really learn how to ride it...I pretty much rode around in first and second gear on VIR North, but I wanted to concentrate on learning to keep the bike in the powerband.

The bike is perfect for my size and weight and I feel like I'm in control of the bike rather than it being in control of me. I do, however, hate trying to start the damn thing and not having and idle circuit. :D

Anyone who is thinking about getting one of these bike should do it...they are friggin' awesome!!!!

2. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

That is Great News... ! Very good!

3. Mary#17

Mary#17 What member?

Laura,

Congratulations! I couldn't agree with you more. The 125's are awesome bikes. I have people who come up to me all the time and ask me when I'm going to "move up" to an SV 650 and I always tell them that would be moving down. Why would I want a heavy, slow bike with no suspension when I can have a true GP bike. And, as you mentioned, I also am pretty small, so I fit on this bike perfectly.

Although, a start button and idle would be really nice sometimes :D

Mary

4. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Your bike has those; he's named "Eddie." :)

5. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Mary! I'm 5', 110 lbs, and the aprilia (although very light) just didn't feel right. When I got on the 125, I didn't feel scared at all...I really felt like *I* had control over the bike...something I've NEVER felt since I started riding. It is too cool.

The biggest problem I was having was getting used to the fact that there was no idle circuit. I was laughing as I was trying to slow down coming into the pits and keeping blipping the throttle so i didn't stall.

I also hated getting that thing started! It was so frustrating!!!!!

6. Mary#17

Mary#17 What member?

Mike's right. Ed usually starts the bike for me, so that's a BIG help. We also finally figured out how to use that starter tool consistently. For some reason, we could get it work sometimes and screwed it up other times. It's great to start the bike with the warmers still on!

Mary

7. dave_432

dave_432 Well-Known Member

Laura - get a starting tool.

http://www.rscycles.com/product_pages/tools/starttool.htm

Somebody else makes them cheaper, but I don't have that info handy. I just bought the one from RSC - makes life a lot easier and comes in real handy on colder days getting it up to temp before the race while leaving the warmers on. Definitely worth buying.

-Dave

8. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Actually ... she's not talking about actually starting the motor. It fires in about three steps. She's talking about getting it moving from a standstill. But ... unlike some other people I've known (ok, me) she didn't stall the thing once all weekend.

( And actually ... Laura already has a starting tool, and the reverse-thread nut needed for TZs. What she doesn't have is a big-ass drill needed to turn the thing over (and not burn itself up). She should buy one :D )

- Roach

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  9. Mary#17

Mary#17 What member?

Laura,

For the starts, see if you can borrow a peaky 2 stroke 80 dirt bike. I have a YZ 80 and I think that thing really helped me with clutch and throttle control for starts.

Mary

10. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

The issue with the starts is that you just feel like you are killing the thing.. In fact you do more damage by not just letting her rip.. LAR the issue have are normal when first getting a 125 and soon you will master all these issues and it will be a distant memory..

11. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it! I do know that I'm not giving up because I enjoyed that bike so much!!!

12. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Told you you would love a 125.

I got to go heal, MX is killing me.

13. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Laura,

Once you get the hang of it remember to sand your metal clutch plates before each race start....if not the clutch has a tendency to grab, kinda like its either on or off and the bike will bog.....just a tip LOL.....

Have fun! The 125 group is like family!

14. Kelly

Kelly Member

Make sure you have slack in the clutch cable

Last weekend was the second time on my 125. I entered in a 30min solo race. I was a little worried about the whole thing. Wasn't sure about a lot things like gearing, enough fuel, jetting... bla bla.

Anyway, I did a test launch burn on the warmup lap and didn't notice that I ran out of slack. At the start, full tank, chubby rider, tall gears,.... Everyone knows what happened after I "let it rip".

FYI...