1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 GSXR 600 - oil pan removal?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hardluck700, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Hardluck700

Hardluck700 Well-Known Member

I need to drop the oil sump/pan on my 12 GSXR 600. Same bike from 11-today. The bike is new to me. I went to adjust the clutch and the locking nut is MIA. I can only think that it’s down in the oil pan. Nightmare.

I started the process of dropping the pan. There are several pan bolts, at the rear, that are virtually impossible to reach. I think that I need to pivot the engine. Remove two mounting points and pivot on the third. Not sure which to do.

I search the forum and couldn’t find anything.

Is there anyone that can help guide me with dropping the pan?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Hardluck700

Solved it. Nightmare.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

So maybe post the problem and resolution and make this thread not worthless.

4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

:crackup::crackup:

5. Hardluck700

You’re right Spitz. Shame on me. I owe it to the community to add some knowledge or experience, not just take it from the group.

I’ll take some pictures and explain how I was able to drop the pan without removing the engine. I’ll be home tonight.

I will probably save somebody the pain it caused me.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

:flag:

7. Hardluck700

Okay. Here is how I removed the pan and recovered the nut.

The manual calls for the engine removal to remove the pan. I figured out how to do it easily. Not pretty, but a huge effort/time saver.

I fished around with a magnet for a couple of hours before resorting to this.

This is the clutch adjustment nut that fell into the oil pan.

[​IMG]

Here is the underside of the pan. All bolts are accessible, except the left rear. See arrow. Black bolt clutch lever side. Impossible angle to get socket or box end wrench on it. There is a frame lug in the way.

[​IMG]

Frame lug.

[​IMG]

I simply, and carefully, cut the lug away. It is not used on the bike anymore.

[​IMG]

With all of the bolts accessible, the next issue was the steel stamped plate that joins the oil pan to the engine case. It’s soft steel with no spring back.

.[​IMG]

I simply bent it out of the way, temporarily, and dropped the pan. Once done, I used a small jack to push the plate flat again and installed the bolts.

It was unnerving. Once I had the confidence to cut the lug and bend the plate, it all went smoothly.

Don’t poke fun. I was reluctant to share. Cutting frame lugs and bending engine plates may be frowned upon.

I could now drop pan in an hour or so. Hope that I never need to.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd cut the lug too if it saved hours of work if it's on my own bike. What is the purpose of that lug originally? That, and in reality it could be welded back on if need be.

9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

you can remove the pan bolts and plate if you lift and tilt the engine in the frame.
    takes two people ideally.
    cant figure why suzuki put that plate there. basically prevents you from dropping the pan without tilting and shifting the engine.
    needless to say, mine is in the trash.

10. Hardluck700

I gave some serious thought to tilting the engine. There are three mounting/pivot points. I couldn’t figure out which two to pull. Which wire to cut type decision. I just didn’t want to mess around with all of that. I think that lug is used for the kickstand.

That bracket can’t offer too much, unless Suzuki saw a stress failure between the engine mounting bolt and the case.

Thanks!

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I accidentally dropped one of the little cylindrical locating tabs on the clutch cover into the bottom end once. I used a magnetic wand after repeated attempts going back and forth at it over the course of an hour or two and finally.....KLINK! I felt it snare it and I fished it out :D

12. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

i think i removed all the bolts and supported engine on frame and jack and wiggled until i got the right angle and clearance. Again, someone holding the engine in place would have helped tremendously, but I did it with only a small blood sacrifice (one skinned knuckle).

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think it's for stock exhaust. I'd read you can bend that plate like OP did but I wanted to see what he came up with in case I ever have to do this to mine. :p

14. Hardluck700

The lug I cut was on the opposite side from the exhaust. I have two of the same GSXR’s. Both are track converted. The frame in question had nothing attached to it. My other bike had the same lug, with threads, but nothing their either. The plate was bent because I couldn’t remove two of the four rear most bolts. They had a weird angle. In the end, bending the plate made it a breeze. It would be a one hour job, now that I’ve eliminated several hours of thinking through the unknowns.