1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1/4" drive torque wrench

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Mar 18, 2018.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I'd like to get one to use rather than my 3/8". Looked them up on the Snap-on site and I saw a price of $415. I want quality but that's a bit more than I wanted to pay. Any suggestions for something that would work well for bikes but not cost so much?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What are you using it for?
    Building engines?

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I got mine (an older model) from ebay and even with checking the calibration it was lots less than $415.

4. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Had my Snap-On unit for 30 years. Had the calibration checked a couple times, as precaution. Works great today.

5. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

15 year old Craftsman clicker type. Check calibration every other year or so. Always spot on. And lots less than $415.

duggram likes this.
  6. duggram

I have a Husqvarna 501 (KTM 500) and I stripped out a case bolt hole on the clutch slave. I was using my Craftsman 3/8" clicker set to 10 NM. The advice I got from the shop mechanic that installed inserts for me was to get a 1/4" torque wrench because it would be more accurate in the range.

7. duggram

30 years! I'm pretty sure I won't be around that long. I'll 68 in a few weeks.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I've heard for 10 lbs and under, a beam style is better than a click type.

Truth, or not.

9. eggfooyoung

Quitter.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. duggram

I don't think so. Probably won't have much to say about it. But I do plan to keep riding as long as possible.

11. eggfooyoung

...and totally redeem yourself!

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Or get a 3/8 drive, inch lb. torque wrench. That's what I did when an old torque wrenched fubared me one time.

noles19 likes this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My wrist is a calibrated instrument... ;)

zippytech and fastfreddie like this.
  14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A friend I raced with asked me how I knew how tight I was tightening whatever I was currently working on, without a torque wrench. I looked at him and made a click sound as I got it to where I wanted it. He kept multiple torque wrenches at had for tire changes because he said otherwise, he'd strip everything out.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Phl218 likes this.
  16. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Snap-On farms out the manufacture of their torque wrench these days. Go to Amazon, look at the reviews and buy accordingly. A $400 dollar wrench is silly. Btw, store all your torque wrenches in a climate controlled environment.

17. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I had like 2 dozen from when I had my FAA repair station. Sold a bunch on here, I still have a few left. I'm away from my shop but i can send specs Tuesday

18. I can’t seem to break, get it to go out of cal or find a good reason to replace my park tools 1/4”. I just take care of it and i was checking it every 3 months in the snap on truck. Told the guy every time if it was out of cal I would buy a new one on the spot. Definitely worth taking a look at. I think it’s discontinued now but I saw some on eBay for sub $150. And I was using it daily for years to build motors.

My 3/8ths craftsman was a pile of shit and I hated that thing. It went out of cal twice and it was off by over 60ftlbs.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  19. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

On a click type torque wrench as long as you are in the range of the torque wrench's design it's (ie 200-1200 inch lbs) accurate. That's an old mechanics tale from deflection bar type torque wrenches.

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

rafa likes this.