1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08cbr1000rr gearing &520 conversion Q's

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 08RR, Mar 16, 2012.

1. 08RR

08RR Well-Known Member

Last season i ran the stock chain and sprockets for the full season, i did change out the front sprocket adding a tooth but thats as far as i went on gearing..

Im wanting to get some new sprockets and a good chain that will last me rounds or so. Is a 520 conversion a good thing to do on a 1000cc or should i stick with 530 or what ever stock is?

Also is is worth getting a few front sprockets (stock and 1 tooth up or down) and a couple rears ?

Any help appreciated:up:

2. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

I have the same bike and I run the stock 530 chain. When this chain is done, I will switch to the 520. It just seems like a waste to jettison a perfectly good chain! Get a one tooth down for the front and several rear sprockets.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

If you do go 520, buy the best available...a cheapo chain won't last on a 1000.

4. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

a regular 530 last decent.... but a 520 needs to be very good or they strech like a politic....

in my bike I have it very mooded but no 520, in my book for a street bike that 0.01 more acceleration is noth worth it.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I think the EK MRVZ (not sure on the model) 520 has an extremely high tensile strength for a 520 chain. I've used one for 1 season now and I'm not replacing it for this year.

6. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I agree it can be done but not at $100 range, you have to go to $160+ to get there.

7. 08RR

08RR Well-Known Member

yep thanks guys, i seen TJ's ad for the renthal sprockets and d.i.d chain. he said thats what they run on all thier bike so i may go for one of those kits

8. DHuskic

DHuskic Active Member

What common ratios have you guys been using on the CBR1K? Picking out a set of aftermarket sprockets, thinking 15/42 cause it'll put my top speed at the right place for most tracks, I have my 41 incase I need to switch it up a little bit, and it'll let me do lots of wheelies(i think)! Renthal's or aluminum? Have any of you run Renthal's on the 1000? How many rounds are we talking before I need a new sprocket?