1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08+ R6 w/ YEC -- occasionally will not idle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rhouck, May 4, 2015.

1. rhouck

rhouck wat?

I have an 08+ R6 with a YEC ecu. Stock motor, tuned on pump gas.

I have an intermittent issue where I start the bike and it seems to run fine as long as you give it gas.... but it refuses to idle. If you let it go of the gas, it just drops dead. Not like it sputters out, it just acts like there is no idle rpm set so it just falls to 0. Repeated restarts does not change anything. I flick the power on and off (not just the kill switch, actual power), and that doesn't always do anything.

Then suddenly it kicks over and idles perfectly, no issues.

This process does not happen often (every couple of race weekends, and usually only once in the morning -- though it's not very cold where I am, 50+ minimum). It's been rare enough that I tend to forget about, but I'd prefer to solve the issue if possible.

Is this a tuning gremlin? Or a part slowly failing that I'll need to keep an eye on?

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

RM racing pointed this out to me long ago. Maybe this will resolve your issue.. just hold the start button LONGER. Seriously. Not a joke. Nobody has said what exactly the issue is, but it's something with the yec system, and holding the button longer allows something to cycle long enough. It does not harm the starter at all. If you have ever had your stator cover off, you know the starter gear is a one way thing, and it spins free if engaged and the motor is running.. So hold a few seconds even after the motor is started up.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1 on what Melk said. That definitely fixes the problem.

4. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Awesome! Thanks, guys :up: I love when solutions are easy (and free :crackup: ).

5. MELK-MAN

well.. let's not count chickens just yet, but it's a good bet ;)

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

7. MELK-MAN

there we go. That explains it.