1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08-present R6 wiring / lines

Discussion in 'General' started by GrayGhost, Feb 4, 2016.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I have 09 R6 that I'm NOT real happy with the front wiring . Any of you have photos of how yall have done this. The previous owner basically took all the wiring from the left side and has it tucked under the airbox and zip tie bundled together. Theres a very small fuse box and 5 or six plugs.

In addition to that, it had the graves front brake line kit but no brackets or anything securing the tee up near the fairing stay. Would love to see some trick/ clever solutions to these.

2. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Regarding the wiring, I just left it the same way it came from the factory.

[​IMG]

I have Spiegler lines but I imagine they're similar to the Graves. I made a bracket from angle aluminum and mounted it to the horn bracket holes in the lower triple, then bolted the retaining loop to that.

[​IMG]

3. GrayGhost

That is a huge help , mine no longer has the plastic bracket to hold all of those things and the rectifier is now mounted there. I may order one and redo it that way . The brake line I'll have to do another way as my set, the TEE is up level with middle of the fairing stay rather than down that far. Very clean looking bracket BTW>

tropicoz likes this.
  4. Move the rectifier to the frame, bolts right up after you take the plastic bracket off and use 2 rubber bushings behind it. That huge plastic bracket thing is awful. Tie the wires up neatly with it. Use safety wire and put the fuse block on the rad hose. Very simple way to do it. And do exactly like what the picture shows above for the brake line.

5. GrayGhost

That is how my rectifier is done now . The above won't work for my brake line because the tee in my system is up by the fairing stay, I may just drill and tap the side of the stay for a cable holder like he used though.

6. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

Moving the rectifier to the frame has had very bad results when the track temps soar. I have seen a large number of them fail when mounted to the frame and people end up moving them back to the original position due to the heat.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I wouldn't do that. Seriously.
    It won't get enough air flow up there and you will go through more reg/recs and potentially leads to stator issues too. there really is no good reason to move it from the front of the rad where it gets lots of air flow. If you do move it, ya have to insulate it from vibration from the frame. A step most don't do.

Both of my 2008's came with the "factory" mod done as proposed. I didn't even take delivery of the first one, before the reg/rec burned up on the dyno when Jensen was doing an ASRA race (used to have to dyno the bikes). Josh Day's bike came this way too, and 1/2 way into the 2009 season, the reg/rec went. This happened again on each bike. After i moved them back to the front of the rads, i have YET to replace one ;) That was a LONG time ago.

what he said.. while i was typing :)

8. MELK-MAN

i would move it back, get the plastic hanger that goes on the side of the rad. It will get more airflow up there..

PS: there is a "tech" forum ;) just fyi.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. GrayGhost

What is this tech forum you speak of? Is it on the same street as the dungeon?

Jk, I just ordered the bracket, snagged one off eBay an hour ago with a rectifier for $35.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

I like that brake line pic... May have to do that myself. One of my bikes had the Rec mounted in the ram air tunnel, with the two fins on the "rain deflector" thing cut off. Definitely kept it cool, but definitely not legal. I ordered OEM bracket and put it back stock. I've never had issues in the stock spot and from what I've seen and heard, relocating it is asking for troubles down the road. My bike also had the wiring on top of the engine too which was pretty nice actually. Kind of tidy on the outside but stuffing all the wires in there is kind of a pain and is probably asking for troubles with bad connections after raming everything in a small spot.

As far as if you want to remove wires, there are tons of pins you can pull out of connectors on the right hand side of the bike that only provide power and stuff to headlights, turn signals and it's pretty simple to do. With our aim dashes on the r6 we only need the 5 wires up front for the air temp sensor and whatever that other sensor is there.

Good luck

11. I regularly run my bike in 100+ degree weather all the time for long stints. Plus every race r6 I build is like that. It's not like I'm in Alaska running. It's so cal in the desert. Not a single issue what so ever with heat. Not sure why you guys are having issues.

But it's just my expirence with it. Won't argue the point if you guys have expirenced otherwise.

12. MELK-MAN

give it time...