1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

08 GSXR750 clutch issue (I think)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Racer45, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Ok, we'll start by the bike runs fine and seems to shift fine. But you can barely spin the rear tire in neutral. I noticed it over the weekend at the track. I'm gonna put the clutch out today and see if anything is messed up and if the tire will spin with it out to eliminate the trans. Anyone ever had anything like this happen and what was it? Thanks

2. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Maybe your wheel bearings?

3. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

If it's hard to spin in neutral, then it's probably not the clutch.
    Pull the chain off the sprocket, and see if it's still hard to spin. If yes, check rear wheel bearings, spacers, axle, brake drag, etc.
    If no, look farther forward - maybe the chain is binding, the countershaft seal is shot, etc. All else fails, go internal (tranny).

4. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

chain man. Im really well known for being a dick about chains.. we had one of our guys that has 3 160hp 750sbk's with $$$ in them, nice stuff but chains were so dirty. I spun his rear wheel...went 3/4 a turn (this is a forged marchesini WITH ceramic bearings!) then i scrubbed chain with grunge brush and motorex chain clean..dried it off..then used my personal favorite Dumond tech (this stuff is AMAZING) and once done...wheel spun TWO FULL TURNS...customer couldn't believe it.

Chains are the #1 misused/abused items on bikes.

5. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

+100

6. Racer45

Ok I'll check the chain. It is very clean. Checked the wheel bearing at the track and they were fine

7. Racer45

Speedo bolt on the front sprocket backed out. But I did clean my chain too

8. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I was just going to post to check this. I too have an 08 - safety wire the heck out of the sprocket and speedo bolt. I had them come loose multiple times already. :up:

9. Racer45

I tried originally but it hit the speedo sensor

10. Racer45

With the washer off there is a little play in the sprocket. Do you guys have that?

11. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I have an 08 750 and there is no play.