1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 R6 Race Setup

Discussion in 'Tech' started by shortie171, Mar 1, 2009.

1. shortie171

shortie171 New Member

So I raced back in 06 on a 2001 GSXR750 that was bone stock. Now I have a 2007 R6 with a Penske Triple and Ohlins Valves and .95 springs. I am basically looking to get some racer info on a good initial setup for geometry and suspension settings.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shortie 171

2. Tim Radley

Tim Radley Well-Known Member

Run the front end as high as you can get it and the back end as low as you can get it.

3. Sucram

Sucram Well-Known Member

I agree with tim, run the front flush or near flush. However I never had any sucess running the rear low... Not sure why that is

4. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

Front high I also agree, rear low has never worked for me either. Too harsh, too much squat causing understeer on corner exit.

To be honest, internet advice like this is probably worse than none at all. If it were me, I would set it up near stock geometry with proper sag, raise the front a little, then experiment. Don't be afraid to change things just be sure to keep a good log. Find out what works best for you instead of trying to run someone else's set up.

5. Sucram

Sucram Well-Known Member

What sort of swing arm angle are you running?

6. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

What springs are you guys running with this "high front" set up? I'm 170 lbs, running .95 springs up front, and I had to push the triples down 5mm (showing fork tube above top triple) to get it to turn sharper. It would lean quickly, I just felt like it wouldn't turn.

I see everyone else is raising the triples, and it has me confused.

7. Tim Radley

Tim Radley Well-Known Member

Its because of the weight distribution. Many make the mistake of lowering the front end to try and make it turn but you just transfer more weight forward and end up loosing the front end. If you run a 190 rear instead of 180 it makes the problem worse also.

8. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

So what will make it turn quicker without dropping the triples?

9. 4yamahas

4yamahas Well-Known Member

Increase tripple clamp offset . Or do what i did and run CF rims.

10. Buchern

Buchern Well-Known Member

It also depends on what tyres you are running. If you are running Dunlop, you should raise it in the front and lower in the rear. Tough if you run Pirelli's you should do the opposite...

11. shortie171

shortie171 New Member

Thanks for all the info. The R6 was previously raced so I guess I will try it like it is and adjust from there.

Bruce