1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 GSXR750 Valve question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bob Miller, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Bob Miller

Bob Miller Well-Known Member

Hey guys like to run a question past you regarding valve inspection numbers on a 2007 GSXR750; 37k miles.

Got this thing opened. All my intake numbers are sitting well within range .003-.007
    #1 .005/.006, #2 .004/.004, #3 .005/.005, #4 .004/.004

Exhaust valves are all right at the limit of the tight side of spec .007-.011
    One valve is by my measurement out of spec tight at .006 while all others are at .007. The one valve at .006 i can still push the shim in; however considerably tighter than all others but it will go in.

Looking to get a bit of insight on this situation from those running GSXR motors. Clearly what im getting at is if i don't need to go ahead and pull cams and proceed further i would rather not. Some have eluded that at 37,000 miles and having had a prior adjustment things are likely settled in and not going to move for awhile, some say adjust.

Its the one valve at .006 that has me wondering; is it tight enough to move forward or let it be and run it for a bit. If i were to proceed im guessing suggestion would be to loosen all the exhaust up a bit? Thoughts?

Bike is not raced; track day only, 3 to 5 days a summer.

code3ryder likes this.
  2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Just picked up an 03 with 33k miles and getting ready to dig into valve check and compression check. Looking forward to the input you'll receive.

3. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

If the standard specification is .007 to .011, then your target is .009 plus or minus two.

.006 is not within spec. I typically shoot for plus or minus one.

It's open now, you have time now, get it right now. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not.

You should be putting very little force on a feeler gauge, it should just barely drag enough to notice it's dragging.

If it takes some force, it is not correct. You will of course get many opinions.

4. Bob Miller

Iroc,
    Yea this one does not slip in at .007 but .006 does.

I suppose i am along your train thought. Just well...lazy hahah. With these being pretty durable motors kinda shot it out if others have run em at this number no issues for a bit.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Do you want power or lowest maintenance?

6. Bob Miller

Lowest maint, the probable 2hp is least of my worries.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Do it, it's not that hard. Sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself out of it.

Bob Miller likes this.
  8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

meaning, you make them at the limit of the loose spec?