1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 GSXR750 or 1000

Discussion in 'General' started by BHopper 5, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Here's what I'm getting at. I only do tracks. No sportbike street riding. My 1000 is fast as shit. But sometimes at an unfamiliar track I can swear that I could get my old SV650 around it faster if you took away the long straights. Crazy, huh?

The only thing I'm racing is my laptimer for the most part. I just wonder what the difference in lap times would be between the 2 for a novice. I guess I'll have to just try it. It's only money.

2. Moto.

Moto. Le' Moto

so.

3. Moto.

Moto. Le' Moto

lol they scare me on the street.

4. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

troll.

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have had all 3, 600, 750 and now 1000. I was faster on the 600, close to 600 times on the 750 and not even in the ballpark on the 1000. Different strokes for different folks but the 1000 does not suit my style, never will. It will haul ass but I cannot make it work for me. If I had it to do over today I would have bought a '07 750, period! Take the saved money and buy some suspension parts.

6. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

I have a lot of experience on all the sized bikes. I like the 1000 for street, but 750 for the track. Im currently racing two r6v's because there are more classes for them.

I really wish the premier superbike classes were still 750. I think that at most tracks the 750 can do a better lap time and we have the ama problems with top speeds at some tracks with the 1000. I think it would be like motogp if they switched back to 750's the lap times would be the same or faster. THe 750 is just the MOST FUN to ride. My .02

Im not a big fan of the point and shoot style of riding, but the 1000's are getting closer and closer to 750's to be honest

7. MarkWyland#88

MarkWyland#88 Well-Known Member

I really love my 06 750. I sat on a 1000 yesterday and they are tiny. The copper 1000 is really nice in person. Do you think you'll ever race it? If not get the 1000 - better resale.

I just picked up a 2007 SV1000 for my buddy yesterday at RT Cycles in Ft. Oglethorpe GA. (706) 861-3000 The owner's name is Terrell and he is giving KILLER deals to WERA racers. He took over 1000 off sticker and didn't add any prep/BS fees. Hell my friend bought a pipe, PCIII and K&N from them and Terrell isn't charging him labor to install!! Be sure to tell him Mark sent you and that you race with WERA.

Enjoy! :up:

8. racunut

racunut Well-Known Member

I have spent a good bit of time on tracks in the Southeast on several different bikes I owned. Two versions of the R1, and R6, Duc 998, and most recently GSXR 750. I can't compare the new GSXR's for you, but I've been in a similar position before so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

The GSXR is my favorite for the track by a long shot. The handling is practically identical to a 600, which is great for tracks in the southeast, and the power makes it feels like a 600 on a megadose of steroids, with a good balance of power on the bottom-end for driving out of turns. With the new 1K, you can change maps to "detune", but this won't gve you the best advantage of a smaller bike (IMO), which is weight reduction.

For me, managing the extra power of the 1000's exiting turns was enough of a distraction to mess up my drive and take away some of the fun. My times on the 750 are much faster, not to mention easier on me and my tires.

If I had to do it again, I'd gone with the 750 from the start and put the money I saved into a rear shock and fork valve upgrade.

9. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I guess I am different than most and my lap times get faster every year. This is my first season racing the 1000 and it is so much more comfortable than my (Safety First) 05' GSXR 600 from last year. I got off my 600 last year and my body would be really sore and now with the 1000 I haven't been sore yet ( I am in really good shape). Tires don't last as long but the faster you go, the sooner your tires go, no matter what bike you ride.
    I do want a 600 but I would never give up my 1000:up:

10. BellsHonda

BellsHonda Well-Known Member

Over-R,

I get what you're saying. I made an attemp to race a 2005 ZX-10 :eek: , it typically took me 2-3 days of practice to get faster on it than on my GSXR600, but I had to work tons harder. There are certain tracks like Jennings and Nashville to name two where I'd rather be on an SV650 than the 1000. I guess it all depends on what you want. I just think the 750 gives a good compromise.

MB

11. BHopper 5

BHopper 5 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if there was a major change between the 06 750 and the 07 750?

12. BellsHonda

Yes......
    I can tell you that,
    No....
    there were no major changes from 06-07 on the 750.

MB

13. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

A 750 is easier to ride and you may be faster on it, unless you are racing with guys on 1000s who block you mid-corner and then pull away to the next corner, where they block you mid-corner, etc.

14. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

Kind of off topic but...

1. How do you determine the absolute capability of a motorcycle?

I ask this because whenever the "best bike to get??" topic comes up, one of the first responses is usually about MOST people not being able to ride a 1000 to it's full capability so get a twin or a 600 or a 750...

Depending on who the actual rider is, can't this whole "most people" stuff be applied to virtually any given rider and any given bike?? It's like the biggest blanket statement that's full of such subjectivity.

The objective stuff that can't be denied is money spent on the bike, parts, and of course insurance but beyond that when it comes to "capability", it's all rider dependent, right?

15. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

+1 thats the other reason I dont race one. To ride a bunch of classes ......you run with the 1000's. Im 200lbs so I don't want to compete against smaller riders on bigger bikes with the problem passing mid corner where they are slower.............so I ride 600's at 200lbs:D and that makes sense:rolleyes:

16. Alexdouble-R

Alexdouble-R Well-Known Member

750.... Perfect bike for the track!

17. BellsHonda

Grab some popcorn, this can be interpreted many different ways and I'm sure everyone has an opinion.

I would see it more as limits rather than capabilities. Every bike will be limited in acceleration, braking, top speed, suspension travel, and lean angle. There are way too many factors that affect these attributes to offer solid quantifiable answers. I don't think there is a single person alive who has tested the full capability of a 1000 on the street. Anyone trying to find these limits for street use is not long for this world anyway.

I always figured that if there were one other person in the world who could ride my bike faster than me with the same setup, then I was not at the full capability of the bike in it's current state. Endurance racing with a partner that is slightly better than you will help see what I'm talking about. That way you have multiple people riding the same bike with someone always being faster.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but a question that is almost impossible to answer.

MB

18. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

I experienced this exact scenario a couple weeks ago at Putnam Park. Frustrating..unless you get a break from lappers on the last turn of the last lap. :beer: :D

19. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Sometimes lappers can be your friend!

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I can’t imagine anyone saying a 1000 is easier to ride than a 750 or 600. I think some mistake being “lazy” on a 1000 and making it up on power with being easier to ride. Don’t confuse taking advantage of HP and riding lazy for being easier to ride.

If you really want to become a better rider start with the smaller bike where you have to really work the gear box, keep the motor on the boil and cary good cornerspeed in order to go fast VS standing a 1000 up and opening the throttle.