1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 R6 Numberplate

Discussion in 'General' started by Seven+2 1's, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

Mongo, I asked before and you said you would have to see one in person but have you made any ruling on plates for the R6?

I measured and if you put 6" numbers JUST above the ram air (right on the edge) then you would have about 5.5 inches of visability through the windscreen. BUT since those numbers have to go on a back plate to be visable you would lose another 1/2 to 1 inch. This may mean that there would only be 4.5 inches of vision through the windscreen. I think thats way to tight. I would like to see them on the side or sides, or maybe permit differant numbers sizes. But your the man so...............

and ideas yet?

2. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

(my bet is on deal with it);)

3. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I don't see your post stating your Mongo. So if thats the case why are you responding?:D

4. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

I was just voicing my bet on the outcome..you got one?;)

5. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

My bet is that they will allow the numbers to be put on both sides the ram air. The numbers will take up most of the windscreen.

6. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

7. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

8. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

I cant find the post, but i asked about this and mongo said the way the ama guys are doing it would be fine

in fact this is the pic I posted when asking about it

[​IMG]

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Deezul, I'm not trying to argue with you, but I know I've read many times over the last few months that the side-mount number thing was _not_ allowed this year, and that he hadn't yet made a determination on any of the newest bikes to see it there would be deviation from that.

I can't help but think that there must have been some miscommunication there, because that pic is exactly what he explicitly said wasn't going to be allowed. I don't have any idea why it wouldn't be allowed, but that's what the position has been. After all, you'd think that if a number plate wasn't proper, the bike would fail tech. I guess maybe the tech dudes were getting hassled last year or something...dunno.

Anyway, I'm sure when there is a concrete answer on this particular bike, we'll see it. With Tally coming up in just a few weeks, I'm sure the answer is forthcoming.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mounted dead square in the middle of the front fairing. No AMA "on the side", no put it over the face shield of your helmet, no variation.

11. Big Deezul

If you do that on a stock screen and your background is large enough for the numbers then you start to reduce the vision field of the rider when tucked.

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Mongo's last statement was he has his measuring stick ready for when the local shop gets the bike in and he can go check it out.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I missed that one. I left it off when he said "too bad". lol!

but he says that a lot (but not quite enough IMHO). :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How often are you looking only 5' or even 10' in front of you at full tuck?

15. Big Deezul

thats not the point though...my point is why reduce it when there is an electronic scoring mechanism (which was $$) in place anyway. Vision is reduced at tuck anyway so why add insult to injury for something that is a back up measure? Do the ama cornerworkers have some superior vision that they can see those numbers but the WERA officials con not?

Did you ever get to measure one?

16. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Manual scoring is a backup to if you forget your transponder, the transponder falls off, or if it is not working. Have you ever scored a race? I have for both WERA and AMA. Scoring for WERA is much more difficult as there as many more bikes and the race distances are much less so the bikes don't spread out as much. When people put the numbers on the sides of the middle vents like that they tend to angle them or run the numbers into the darker colors and so it is very difficult to read. If I am trying to score 60 bikes in a race and I have to take 2 to 3 seconds to try to figure out 1 number I end up missing 10 - 12 other bikes. How is that fair to the other bikes because some doofus can't put the #s on their bike correctly or legibly.

One of the other reasons that WERA is more difficult to score than AMA is because everyone gets to know the riders and most of their riders are 2 digit #s.

17. Big Deezul

blah blah blah everything is a argument. I have done this and I am superior and if you have not your a doofus...what the fuck ever.

I just want to know...from Mongo what he wants us to do. If he hasnt decided yet then cool...I will wait. I just dont want specualtion and guesses that will make me do something I dont want to do. If its the official standing per mongo then so be it.

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Did I say you were a doofus if you haven't? Me stating what I have done before was just providing an example of why the #s on the side don't work well....get over yourself.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My point is you're tryinig to make it seem like a safety thing and not an aesthetic one. If you don't like how it looks them man up and say so but to try an insinuate that we'll be forcing riders into a situation where they can't see is just bullshit.

I will not make a rule that will adversely affect how far riders can see down the straights at full tuck.

The transponders are great but nothing is infallible. So we have manual scoring for backup and the scorers still have a job to do even if we don't use thier sheets often - if we need them they HAVE to be right. And sorry but you wanting to look cool is really not as big a cencern to me as making sure we give out customers accurate results.

By the way - the corner workers have nothing to do with the front plates. Have you ever actually worked a corner or scored a race?

20. Big Deezul

Again I dont want to argue...I just want an answer the same as the person who started the thread. No speculation, no lecture, no safety classes or racing 101. Just an answer which I understand needs to be evaluated so I will wait to hear from Mongo.