1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06/07 r6 vs 08/09 r6

Discussion in 'General' started by primo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. primo

primo Well-Known Member

I'm getting a new r6 for next year. I'm stuck on which year I should get. What do you guys recommend? What are the differences from one or the other? Any feedback will be really appreciated.

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Always heard 08+ is faster. Also has longer forks.

3. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

r6

08's are better but all of them have a habit of blowing up motors.

4. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

06 had a some issues with bearings. 07 was supposedly fixed and "ok," I haven't had issues with my engine yet. 08 was a slightly different chassis (more flex) and more power. 09+ are plagued with emissions control.

obviously the newer ones are going to be better with time and money, but out of the box the 08 is going to be better. if you can afford or want to get a new bike you would need to figure out how to get rid of the epa restrictions.

5. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

6. foster

foster Well-Known Member

What kind of emissions control are we talking here? Just cats or canisters to remove or is something baked into the ecu?

7. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

It's my understanding the 06/07 has limited throttle to 80% that impairs low/mid range power. That the ECU needs to be flashed or a Kit ECU to get beyond this. And I know my 06 has to dance on 10k+ to keep the power coming. :)