1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'05 R6 coil compatibility?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by younglion, Apr 30, 2012.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Hi,

So my bike dropped at least one coil and went from a nice early rev-limiter type cut out at 13,000rpm down to a full cut out and only three cylinders and a whopping 70hp so with a suggestion from someone I swapped coils with my dyno tuner from his '06R1 and tested those on his dyno and the bike ran great.

Before I go ahead and purchase these from a different friend who just happens to have a set left over from an '07 R1, can anyone confirm that these will work with no issues? From what I'm told, pretty much any newer sportbike coils will work - that true?

2. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

NO NO NO. 05 R6 's are CDI. 06 R6+ and R1's (since 00?) are TCI. Get coils for the 03-05R6 or the 06+ R6S.

3. younglion

What's CDI and TCI?

4. emry

Capacitive Discharge Ignition - High voltage is released to the coil
    Transistor Controlled Ignition - 12v is fed to the coil, ECU control the ground.

Totally different ignition systems

5. younglion

Thank you for the explanation. I installed the R1 coils and have a weekend of trackdays coming up, are these safe to use for a short time or will they do damage and should be yanked immediately?

Thanks for the input...

6. emry

It may damage a coil/s, maybe the CDI but no guarantees either way. But you will have weak spark. It may rear its head in odd running issues. Miss, dropped cylinder, rough, etc....

I wouldn't run them, the correct coils should be easy to find.

The high voltage discharged from the CDI will find a path to ground, the higher resistance of the TCI coils will encourage it to find an alternate path, either in the coil or the CDI unit. Then you lose that cylinder and that part.

It is only about 1 ohm of difference, but when dealing with 300VDC that can make a big difference.

I refuse to do the math.