1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04 Honda CR85r 12" wheel options/ Honda Grom wheels???

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by smokey11, Apr 10, 2014.

1. smokey11

smokey11 Member

Quick question for you guys. I have 04 CR85r I want to convert to 12" supermoto wheels for relatively cheap and one option I've been looking at is running a used set of Honda Grom wheels which are 12" but I think the rear might be too wide. The tire sizes are listed as Front: 120/70-12
    Rear: 130/70-12

Also the rotor is on the other side for the grom, I'm thinking I could just flip the wheel and the rotor should line up, but again not sure at all. I do know that both run 15mm axle so that will work.
    Has anybody done this or something similar, are there any other budget 12" options for me? One thing I like about this option is that there are a few more tire options for the grom wheels. I've thought about 17's but the price and fact that I'll be riding mostly smaller tight tracks makes the 12" a more interesting option.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

are you going to find grom wheels for cheap?

3. smokey11

smokey11 Member

I've seen 2 sets so far and I wasn't really searching all that hard, people switching to aftermarket I guess.

The question though is if they will fit...

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

5. smokey11

smokey11 Member

Thanks for the link, those look very good, I have one question though will the 3.50 rear fit on the CR85? It looks like the 2.75 front would not be a problem but the rear just looks really wide to me.

Also which tires do you recommend? I've heard great things about both PMT and Sava but I think PMT might be the better option for me in terms of durability... I would love to hear some opinions on this.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I haven't pushed 12" tires hard for a few years now so my info is out of date. I've raced on Dunlop TT91 and TT92 tires as well as Sava MC31s. The Savas had more absolute grip, were about the same on the Dunlops for what little warning they gave before letting go, and wore MUCH faster than the Dunlops. Everything I'm hearing from the Canadian guys who have easier access to Savas and PMTs says the PMTs win on performance across the board vs the Savas but I've no idea how they compare for longevity. I also have no idea how the current Dunlop TT93s compare.

7. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I've got a 3.5" rear on a 150r which has a very similar swingarm

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I had a CR85R with a 3.5 X 17" rear and it fit just fine. 125 GP slicks with no concerns about fit or fouling, front or rear.

9. smokey11

smokey11 Member

Thank you for the confirmations, much appreciated!

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have a set of wheels like that. I was going to put them on my old pitster, but never got around to it. I need to figure out what I am going to do with them.