1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'03 SV650 subframe and Sharkskinz question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by trentwebb, Dec 7, 2008.

1. trentwebb

trentwebb Member

I am working on the conversion of an SV650NK3 for track-only. I received my Sharkskinz a few weeks ago and got around taking off the stock rear tail pieces today. I'm having a hard time fitting the Sharkskinz tail over the subframe currently without fear of breaking the Sharkskinz. I can still remove the passenger seat bracket, but it is making me wonder...

If I should just chop the subframe behind the rider seat attachments to save some weight since I have the steel subframe. Has anyone done this with success?

I also initially looked into an aluminum aftermarket subframe, but I am concerned about the fit since they seem to be indistinguishable between '03 and '04 and later. I had an email conversation with BRG about their subframe and the final response to me was:

"The only difference is that the 03 is steel and the 04/08 is aluminum The
    seat is the same"

My reply email asked about the different part numbers regarding the seat, side covers, etc...but I didn't hear back.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket subframe specifically for the '03 so I wouldn't have to change the seat and the other parts?

Thanks, Trent

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I have a R-R Racing subframe for my '03 and Sharkskinz. No problems on the fit any where.

http://www.r-r-racing.com/subframes.html

I haven't tried to fit Sharkskinz over my stock subframe but you actually don't slide the tail section in from the back. You place the tail section over the passenger mount so the mount is inside the tail section and then you slide it down and rock it side to side to get it over the undertail.

3. trentwebb

trentwebb Member

Thanks, I'll give them R-R a call tomorrow. So your '03 seat and side panels fit fine with this subframe?

4. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

There is a difference between 03 and 04-06 seats. I have both and visually they are different because in 04 Suzuki changed the sub frame. You need an 04 or later seat to go with the 04 or later sub frame. 03 was specific to that year and was steel. 04 and later went to aluminum.
    You can cut up the sub frame to lose a little weight and make it easier to fit.
    You might want to re route the harness inside of the sub frame and that will help with fitting up the tail.
    I can flex mine to get it on and off.
    Hope that helps.
    Also, you may want to check out Endurance Engineering sub frames. Chris makes them for 2nd gen SV's. email him: [email protected]

5. trentwebb

trentwebb Member

I've decided to hack it myself. I'm not sure what's up with these subframe vendors, but answering an email for a potential buyer doesn't seem like a difficult step to make...

Thanks for the input on this everyone.

-Trent

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If you want an aftermarket subframe, get with Endurance Engineering. Super cool peeps, the best subframes at bargain prices, and great service.

BTW your bike won't be SS legal if you cut the subframe, or if you replace it, just FYI. the trick to getting your tail section over the stocker is to start at the back and tip it so that the very back is low, start putting it on, then rotate it forward. It's tihght but it goes on.

7. trentwebb

trentwebb Member

Thanks. That kind of sucks seeing how the '04-later models have a lightweight subframe vs. the '03. If you have a better method of contact for EE, let me know. I have emailed him twice about this over the last few months and never received a response.