1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 R6 back to street trim - electrical issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JohnS, Dec 2, 2011.

1. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

Hi

I have an 03 R6 track bike that I am putting back to street trim. I have moved the clip ons to above the triple and installed the left switch that works the horn,blinkers and highbeam, and of course the headlights and blinkers. First I have no lowbeam but if I flick the switch to go from low to highbeam I hear the relay "click" but no high beam or indicator in the cluster, when I work the blinker switch they work and the arrows on the cluster work correctly. Also the horn does not work as well

Wish I knew what I was doing but I will admit I have no idea what the hell is going on with electrical stuff. I borrowed a mutlimeter and have the service manuall but all I can figure out is the bulbs and the fuse are good. I really don't want to burn up my buddies multimeter so I was thinking maybe just get a test light and stick some wires to see if they have juice?

If anyone can provide some pointers on how go about this, I would greatly appreciate it!! I have this to work with http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html and can get a test light.

Thanks

John

2. th3_d0c

th3_d0c Well-Known Member

It sounds like you just don't have 12v going through the switches correctly. You can check right at the switch, on the high beam side of the switch, push the red needle to the high switch and the other to the frame/ground on battery. If you don't get 12v when you click it over to high, there is problem and trace it backward from there. Also check the 12v at the low beam side, if you don't have 12v there, trace it back further.

You can also check the voltage coming out of the relay to make sure you get getting 12v+ to the lights. Just put the red needle stick on the relay(or through the headlight wire if it is sharp) and the other to either the frame(best) or ground on the battery. If you don't have 12v coming out of the relay pin, it won't work.

Also, try sending 12v directly from the battery to the wire that connects to the relay(that runs to the headlights), if they light up, then something else is screwy.

All is the same idea with the horn. The horn will be easier to start working with first, since it is just a button that works the horn directly, it will be an easier "switch" to understand without the relay crap. So, there are two wires at the horn switch, one side has(should have) 12v, and when you press the horn button in, it sends the 12v through the other side, directly to the horn, if you don't have 12v at the switch, check the fuse. And try the battery trick here. Get a wire(4-5ft), with alligator clips. Clip one side to the red on battery, the other, press it directly to the horn(12v) connector, if it sounds off, you know the horn "works."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

Thanks that was helpful. I followed the switch wires back to a connection, unplugged it and checked for voltage only some of the pins were hot Also when I unplugged it with the high beam on I heard the relay under the windscreen click off so off comes the tank to see what is under there since that is where the wires go. I am guessing I have a problem further back.