1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'03 GSXR vs modern bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by tjg412, Jul 29, 2011.

1. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

I've only raced and ridden on a track my '03 GSXR 1k so I have no perspective on what the difference is between it and other bikes. I trashed my bike at Summit Point in April and am now weighing wither to repair it or buy something new(er). What are the main benefits that exist in new(er) bikes compared to the '03 GSXR I have? Be general, not specific model vs model comparisons. I know things like ECUs, slipper clutches, etc are readily available now that my bike doesn't have. Simply put - what is available on bikes today that mine doesn't have that could make me a better racer? And please don't suggest after market stuff for my '03, I know it's out there, that's not what this thread is about. I want to know what I can get OEM off the showroom floor that I don't have now on my '03 GSXR.

2. The newer bikes will be lighter, more powerful, have slipper clutches, better chassis, better suspension, so on and so forth.

Basically the newer bikes have more potential and they are easier to ride because the better equipment can help mask rider errors.

Will YOU be a faster rider on a newer bike, that is something only you can answer. If somebody is 20 seconds off a podium spot, they will probably still be 20 seconds off a podium spot on a newer bike. But if you are putting down good laps now, then it is possible you may get some benefits from newer equipment.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a newer bike simply because your '03 isn't worth anything (no offense). I mean, you could spend thousands getting it back up and running...and then at the end of the day the bike is only worth $1,500.

There have been several revisions/upgrades since your bike was made. If you had posted the same question while riding an '07...my response would be different.

If you are looking to get something more modern (same bike) but not drop alot of money, look for a 2006 Gixxer 1k in good condition. Some say the '06 Gixxer 1k is one of the best sportbikes built and it is still modern enough to be competitive. They haven't changed much since 2006 (with the exception of the 2011).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I haven't look too closely, but I thought the trend was going in the wrong direction for a while with new bikes getting heavier. :confused:

Was that all exhaust weight?

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The 1K7 was heavier off the showroom floor, Papa. But I think it makes a better platform than nearly anything else in it's class.

5. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

get a 06 and up GSXR 600 and or a 07 and up R6 allready set up and then dial it in.....

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

More/newer sensors, catalyzers, other BS crap that you don't really need and they didn't used to put on bikes. Once you ditch all that stuff that is unused on the track it probably get a little more normalized weight-wise.

Plus newer bikes are being designed around centralizing that mass better than on older bikes too.

7. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

8. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Look for a set up 05-08 GSX-R 1K Those are arguably two of the best big bikes evar

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They are correct :D

10. Well played :D

:D

11. As previously stated, the extra weight on the newer bikes is/can be removed when race prepping them (I assume that is the OP's intent). The frame's, subframe's, engine internals, wheels etc are lighter and the brakes are better. So once the bikes are race prepped, you get a better package.

Not to mention the weight has been better distributed and the bodywork has decreased in size and made more aerodynamic.

But again, that doesn't mean the OP will be faster on a new bike. It just means that the newer bikes are better and have more potential. It is up for him to decide if he needs/can use it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have no doubt that the newer bikes are better. I was just curious about the weight, and if they really are lighter.

13. Chip

Chip Registered

and 011 GSXR1000 is lighter than a 01 GSXR1000....in race trim. Heavier in street trim.

03 GSXR is a GREAT bike....one of the best of all time....fast, durable, and easy to race....but you would have to spend a pile of $$ to make it as fast a modern equivalent.

14. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

It seems that right around '06 was a turning point for most models.

The GSXR600 in '06 made a pretty big leap, and since then, I'd say an '06 can still be reasonably competitive with a 2011. Same with the R6 in '06.

Also the same with the Gix 1k. '05 was a big leap, and can still be fairly competitive with a new one.