1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'03 CBR954 - Idles too fast on start up

Discussion in 'Tech' started by algunn, Jan 30, 2010.

1. algunn

algunn Member

On a cold start, the engine idles at 2000 rpm then instead of dropping down to 1200, it goes to 3000 then 4000 and that's when I shut if off. I think it idles ok once it's warmed up. Does anyone think it is the "fast idle wax unit"? Is that what this unit controls? Thanks!

2. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

Did anyone mess with the idle adjuster? I had an '05 F4i that did pretty much exactly what you're describing. Turns out one of my kids had been playing with that little knob, jacked the idle to the freaking moon when I fired it up. Took me awhile to figure out as I never had the nerve to let it warm up at 4k+. I finally, out of desperation, turned the idle all the way down, then kept turning it up until it would idle cold. Let it warm up, adjusted to spec and it was fine after that.

3. algunn

algunn Member

I don't think it's been messed with. I played with the idle adjustment and I don't think it helped, but I'm going to try again.

4. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

When was the last time the t-bodies were sync'd? Lower the idle. Take it for a ride longer than 10 minutes. Pull off to a safe spot so you can set the idle to spec. Ride home or wherever. Notice how well the idle is with a hot running engine. Sound good? Never touch the idle again. Let the morning map and the auto choke linkage set the fast idle at cold start. If you re-sync the t-bodies, then reset the idle as per hot engine.

You say it idles fine so no air leak or it would stall. No one goes around setting idle each time they go out riding kind of you said it starts out at 2k and revs up more. 2K is sitting there for how long? We have an ECU with a water temp map, a cold air sensor in the air cleaner area calling the rpm. Either way, you should de-squidid I file that away long ago is start the bike and ride away slow at 2k.

The bullshit is if you turned the keyfob on with a dead cold motor and ran down the half mile as hard as you could, maybe you'd burn a piston buy then. By now, you should be keeping that light sweet crude in the ground longer is get the putt going instead of sitting like a squid warming up what is already wearing out each time you take it out. Bye now....

:Pop::cool: