1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

01 Yamaha R1 TOTAL LOSS electric

Discussion in 'Tech' started by evakat, Mar 31, 2021.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have a 2001 R1 I only use for track use.
    Would like to swap to a total loss electric system. Anyone know of a "kit" to use.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Why?
    You can have a machinist cut/machine the flywheel about a 1/2 lb but totally eliminating it will guarantee youll need some kind of charger to keep the battery up. Kind of a PIA.

3. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Yes... I know eliminating it will require I have a fully charged battery at all times... and probably charging it between sessions.
    I just considering all my options.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

5. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

The "total loss" kit is basically removing your stator, rotor, and reg/rec. Viola - pain in the ass bike. Listen to turbo.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'm going to agree with all of the above and second Turbo's dead accurate question.

Why?

What are you thinking you're going to gain from this besides a pain in the ass?

7. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Just walking through my options... the R1 was a salvage/crashed bike that took a shot to that side of the case. Previous owner had to Weld the cover bolt locations back in place.
    I had a heck of the time pulling the flywheel after finding a very small oil leak from what looked like by one of the repaired bolt locations.
    I had to Weld a nut on the flywheel to get it to finally let go of the crank. (After wasting 2 puller bolts & stripping the threads on the flywheel)
    At some point I will want to reset a new flywheel... so I was just thinking maybe just ditch the whole charging system.
    (( I used to run a old WERA racer FZR400 that was running total loss))

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

To make it real fun... pull the starter. Then use rollers. :D

E Reed likes this.
  9. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

i raced a 2000 R1 up until 2018 cut the damn thing off if you have too, the bike will also turn better. I used a 7ah lith battery and a 2amp charger. never a problem was able to do 3 20min sessions without charge. found that out by accident.

evakat likes this.