1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01 gsxr750 spring rate question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tim503, Feb 15, 2004.

1. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

I'm setting up my bike and I'm wondering what spring rates would be correct for my weight (200 without gear)? Both forks and shock. Just looking for something to get me in the ballpark...

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

call Max at traxxion.

He did well by me on my gsxr setup.

If I was to guess. Maybe a 425-450 in teh rear, and a .95 - 1.0 in the front.

3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

You need at least a 475 on the rear, maybe even a 500. 1.0's in the front.

4. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!

Tim

5. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

that is insane dude. on the 1000 you would run a spring stiffer than normal, but not on a 750.

no more than a 450, and .95s up front are fine. im the same weight and i have a 475 on my bike from LE and its too stiff. i have penke's spring rate chart if you want it email me. id post it but the image hosting is screwy on this site last time i tried.

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I'm going by what Kent put on my buddies bike. He has 475 and weighs 200-220ish. And why did LE put a 475 on your bike? Maybe its just too stiff for you.

7. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

We ran a 450 with a 200 lbs rider.

We also used .95 fork springs.

8. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

All my stuff just came back from Traxxion Dynamics

I weigh 215 without gear. I was given 1.0 up front (which also matches race tech charts), and a 450 on the back. I have not ridden yet, but I can tell you that the 400 was like a big ol' marshmellow under me.

I would really say .95 and 425 to a 1.0 and a 450.

Hope that helps.

Rich

9. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the help guys! Now I'm feeling a lot more confident about knowing where to start. :clap:

I'm starting to wonder how we got by for so many years without the internet... :)

10. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

i wasnt being insulting kris so dont take it that way. i call everyone insane. ;) but it did seem crazy to me. i asked le why they put a 475 on my bike and he told me since my home track was loudon that i should go with a stiffer than usual spring. then i asked around at loudon to a handful of guys who are my weight (slightly over 200lbs. without gear) and they all use a 450 with .95's. only on the 1000 would you run a step higher spring for your weight. the penske chart i have shows this. and at 215ish i would say someone is borderline for .95's or 1.0's, but i dont have the racetech chart handy.