1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01 GSXR- Engine losing power between 7-10k rpm

Discussion in 'Tech' started by T-Shirt Racing, Aug 27, 2003.

1. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Have you changed out the ..

FUEL FILTER? It can be a pain in the ass to do but that's a much cheaper place to start. The bike only seems to run decent at high rpms, right ? Power comes on like you're a bronc bustin cowboy? The filters will load with crap from fuel up and ruin fi delivery. Keep us up to date, eh? :beer:

2. T-Shirt Racing

T-Shirt Racing Well-Known Member

Well we made it to CMP for the race Saturday! Thanks to Lee's Performance and WERA 516. It doesn't make sense to me but as they got into it they 1st checked the fuel pump and filter and it was a mess. They said it even looked like it had mud in it. (we crashed in the mud twice at VIR during the endurance, but could mud actually get in the unopened tank?) It's fuel injected so has no return line? Anyway, I had a spare and they cleaned out the fuel rail only to find the injectors clogged. I ordered a set overnight through the dealer that helps support me and that fixed the problem:) So cattitori wins the prize (if there was one). What I don't understand, and they couldn't really tell me was how that makes any sense? I'm no bike technician, but I was a mechanic years ago and have at least a good working knowledge of mechanical things. I would have thought that since it took off at higher rpm's it couldn't be starving for fuel. The faster you rev the more fuel is needed so if it was starving at high load but running fine at low end I would have started looking at fuel clogs, but this situation was backwards to that. And the fuel pump is electric so it's not pumping harder at higher rpm's. Well I really appreciate everybody helping, I know how hard it is to diagnose anything over the computer, but thanks for trying. I also realize that several of you are very good with tuning and could have fixed it given the oportunity to have the bike in person, but please don't stop trying to help guys like me over the bbs. I really do thank you for trying. John Hart

3. cattitori

the bike's back

Congrats on getting your throttle back. 1 follow up question- Did you ever use an additive for fuel system/injector cleaner? A product with a name something like Techron? The techs that worked on your filter and injectors found a mud colored substance?

4. T-Shirt Racing

T-Shirt Racing Well-Known Member

Yes I did! It's called Sta-Bil sp? and it's to keep the fuel from turning to jelly or seperating when stored for any length of time. Please tell me that I didn't cause all of this:Poke: Does anyone know if that would have started all of this?

5. Kevin Crauswell

Kevin Crauswell Well-Known Member

Some of the additives, change the color of the fuel and
    those may have it looking like" mud" or a very dark brown.
    I would say : that if that is your problem then that would tend to
    make one bekieve you mixed the additive to wrong ratios,,
    ie. to much additive to to little fuel.
    This has happened to me twice. I had just a little to much
    additive and the bike ran shit wise between certain rpm.
    ( The problem went away after I cleaned up the mess
    and the carbs , , ,ect. )
    As to the sensor at the air box : that in some cases
    would be called a : MAP sensor. (Manifold air pressure
    sensor) If in error, it WILL confuse the main computor
    and change you air/miture . Now, in some, that sensor
    is some time called a : abniet air temp sensor.
    It tells the injector/fuel sytem what mixture to use such as
    if it were a cold engine and richen the mixture.
    Hope some of this helps.

6. cattitori

techron

No, you did not do this with Sta-Bil. What I was looking for was an injector cleaner, ie Techron. Too often we think that if some is good then more must be great, right. Not the case with motos and fuel injector cleaner. Using the more is better idiocy I actually disolved some sort of seal/liner on my tank's interior. This liner of course went through the fuel system and plugged the fuel filter up. You probably just got a load of shitty gas, and you know what happened.

7. Kevin Crauswell

Kevin Crauswell Well-Known Member

Re: techron

??????? :confused:
    Did NOT SAY IT WOULD HAPPEN WITH STABIL FUEL ADDITIVE BUT
    it will HAPPEN WITH some INJECTOR CLEANERS.
    Chevron tech, is a clear additive, some are colored darker
    such as the Chrysler brand. It is made by another company
    under different names and is a injector cleaner and is very
    dark. And may disolve thing like tank creamers. Thus in to
    the carbs/intake ect ect. BG K44 is a great additive but it also
    will turn fuel dark. ( Most additive in a bottle that is a few
    fluid ounces, will mix between 15 to 25 gallons. So a 5 gallon
    tank would only take at the most,,, 1/3 a bottle)
    Sorry for your confusion on the post.