1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01 GSXR 750 cam question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Team 61, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Team 61

Team 61 Active Member

I know this has been brought up, but have not seen it gone through completely. Have heard that GSXR 1000 intake cam can be dropped into 750, 750 intake cam then moves to exhaust position. Is this accurate? What years of the 1000 cam can go into the '01 750? I will then have to re-time cams and re-tune the bike's PCII, yes?

Also, while having the motor open is it recommended to replace valves, springs, and guides, etc., with some newer more substantial pieces like VESRAH products, or is that overkill?

Thanks for any help.

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

What are you trying to do, make hp or get more all around power, the cam set up will make more hp and the bike will be a total turd in the mid-range

3. Team 61

Team 61 Active Member

I would like to make more horsepower and flatten out the torque curve. I guess with that specific cam set up you are pointing out that the revs have to be constantly in the 10-13k range for significant gains? Also, what is your definition of the mid-range? 7-10k?

4. Handicapped Racer

5-9

5. Team 61

Team 61 Active Member

Anybody?

6. Handicapped Racer

ok try this again

What are to trying to do

road race
    street
    or drag racing
    are you looking for top end power or low end power lets take baby steps

7. Team 61

Team 61 Active Member

Road race, looking for more power all around, top to bottom, w/o boring the jugs. Is it possible? BMC filter, velocity stacks, 5 degree advance, PC II, Ti headers and can, with the cam swap and re-timing.

Is the result of the above mods simply going to be a flat mid-range, w/o head work, and a supercharged top-end?

8. Handicapped Racer

get a nice ss build it will be more than you can handle trust me the cam will casue lag on the mid

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  9. Team 61

Team 61 Active Member

Very good, what does a good SS build contain?

10. Handicapped Racer

depends, if i go by what you've posted, it doesn't seem like you are racing or will be racing any super stock classes. so as goes for the head, line bore cam journals, valve job, decking the cyl head, .018 head gasket, adjustable cam sprockets. If possible mill the block, depending on mileage you may have to re-plate. crank, over-sized bearing, only if your not looking for longevity "just HP" ceramic transmission bearings, Pair valve mod, some other small tricks of the trade. If it's done right you'll have more than plenty usable power,:up:

11. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

ok here goes....

1. YES. that combo will work BUT

you need to realize IMO you will loose too much PTV (piston to valve) clearence on the exhuast side to warrant any gains. I dont like the 750 in on the exh. side....whatever you do you MUST MUST MUST degree cams and check PTV!!! (on int aim for +.040" @10deg ATDC, and +.055" @11deg BTDC these are very safe)

I like the 1000 cams in and ex for a cheap fix...degree them in...try 105-107LC on in and 103-105LC on ex...works pretty good.

Dont expect huge gains thou...honestly. Best is to do the top end....GOOD valve job, surface cylinder head, 2layer head gasket and then drop in a set of 1000 oem cams in on in, ex on ex and degree...you;ll see huge improvement in accel esspecially. Good luck

12. ed who?

opps. forgot part two of your question..

1. yes the vesrah 2 layer head gasket is great!
    2. the valve guide seals should be fine, unless ton of miles, or damaged
    3. springs, use the 750 springs, even with the 1000 cams....again CHECK PTV!
    4.do the above i posted as well...good VJ and surface head..even with 2 layer HG you will have enough room with stock pistons and 1000 cams.
    5. when done most important part...TUNE!!! Find a GOOD dyno facility that has ALOT of time tuning this bike!!

13. Team 61

Team 61 Active Member

Cool, thanks guys.:up:

Time to get to work.

14. Handicapped Racer

Just curious

So.... are you saying that decking the cyclinder head and block will not net you any gains?

15. ed who?

???HUH? where did i say that? i think you did not read my post correctly. I in fact say to deck the head and also run a 2layer kit style Vesrah gasket..all i said i dont like is running a 750 intake cam on the exhuast side with stock pistons. It runs you tight on ptv with the added lift. thats all.....

16. Handicapped Racer

ok here goes....

1. YES. that combo will work BUT

you need to realize IMO you will loose too much PTV (piston to valve) clearence on the exhuast side to warrant any gains.

I read your post and the above statement is why i asked.

17. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Pair Vave Mod 01 Gsxr750 Details?

I want to find about the pair valve mod on the 01 GSXR750. Can anybody tell me, a) Is it legal on my SS motor? ad much more fundamental, WHAT IS IT? How is the mod done?

Is it worth doing to my SB motor? Talk to me O great ones.