1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01 GSX-R600 rear shock swap....???'s

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Jun 20, 2002.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

1st off I have replaced rear shocks before so I do understand the basics. This one kinda throws a wrench at my know how. I am about to replace the rear shock on my '01 600 with a Penske. The stocker does not appear that it will simply slide out the bottom once I undo it from the top mount. The hole in the swingarm appears too small for the reservoir to clear:confused: so do I take it out through the top? that seems like a lot of extra work since the plastic subframe tray/pan with the battery & all the electrical goodies is attached to that. I have had the top shock nut loose back when I shimmed the stock shock so I am familar with getting it loose. Once the rear wheel is off, top shock nut loose & lower nut off will the shock slide out through the top with the swingarm tilted down? looks like it might come out that way....not sure.

Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. I have time to think it out since I really do not want to tear into the rear until I get my front forks back on (they won't be back until next week at the earliest). Right now the bike is just hanging from the garage ceiling, not alot of stability to be wrenching on the rear.

Thanks
    Roy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  2. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

get a jack and sit it on the rear tire and jack up the subframe (remove the inner fender) when the tension is off the bolts jerk the old one up out of the hole and stick the new one in.:)

3. GKing

GKing Well-Known Member

You can hold up the back of the bike with a block of wood between the tire and the rear subframe then loosen the bolts, etc etc etc (what he said.) ;)

4. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

What they are saying is: "Yes, you have to remove the inner fender." :p

5. MadMax 804

MadMax 804 Guest

If you have jack stands, place them under the footpegs or the frame around the peg area. Lower the bike off the rear stand and loosen all of your bolts. You CAN take the shock out without removing the rear fender. It should only take about 5 minutes to swap the shocks.

I don't know if I would trust this GREG#22! He doesn't sound like a credible source! :D

6. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

i am about as credible as that motor you are having built:p when are you getting it so i can order some jet fuel?

7. MadMax 804

MadMax 804 Guest

I'm guessing I should have the motor by the GNF. That is the 2003 GNF!
    Jeff, if you read this call me tonight on my cell phone.

8. brownrt

brownrt Well-Known Member

This will work. You can also get a piston jack (someone mentioned this already) but you do NOT have to remove the inner fender. Just take a 2x4 and place it across the underside of the rear subfame. Either of these will do the trick.

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I guess I was not very clear. The bike already has a steel rod through the swingarm pivot & is resting on jack stands. The front (whats left) is suspended front the ceiling.

I was more interested in did I need to remove the inner fender/battery tray or not. If it could be done without that being removed, then how.

Well I tried to post a few pics of the process but I can't post pics here anymore for some reason. Strange :confused:

Thanks for the replies....:)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  10. brownrt

brownrt Well-Known Member

I put my Penske on (same bike) between races at the track. It really isn't that difficult. A couple of jackstands under the rearsets.

11. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

That rear fender and battery tray only has 4 bolts attaching it, just remove the battery first. It might take you 15 extra minutes.