1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'01 GSX-R 600 Shift cam bolt (repair/fix)

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Jan 7, 2002.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

No mine has not backed out YET but I do want to take a look at it & at least loctite it. So whats the story on this procedure? pull the clutch & thats it? Remove the bolt add loctite/weld on & its done? I have only seen pics of this devil in the service manual. I've done clutch work so I know how to remove the clutch however I have never removed a clutch basket. Are there any service tips that I should know in advance. The bike has 5000 miles on it now all were done on the street except maybe 800 miles on the track. I really am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't mess with it" but with all the talk of this bolt backing out I'm beginning to worry.

I ordered the cover gasket this morning so I'll be ready to tear into it soon.

2. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Be very careful not to break the oil pump gear when you put the basket back on.

Do not overtorque the shifter bolt, it will break.

Sam Fleming
    AOD

3. roy826ex

Thats 7 ft. pounds on the bolt, what a crazy way to build a bike [​IMG] almost like they planned for it to come out & do major damage exactly after 12 months [​IMG]

What is this about the oil pump gear breaking [​IMG] is it like plastic [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tailender (edited 01-07-2002).]

4. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

Anybody know if this affects the 2000 750 as well?

5. roy826ex

I think it does ShaftEd.

6. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

Only if the stupid thing backs out.

7. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Does anyone know if this has been addressed in the 2002 models or are the same problems possible/probable?

8. roy826ex

ShaftEd from what I've heard its not a matter of "if" but "when". I think I have been lucky so far.

By the way has your 2nd gear held up okay, the '00 750's were notorious for loosing 2nd gear.

9. roy826ex

After dealing with Suzuki's for 20 years I'd say it was not addressed on the '02. I could be wrong but I betcha it is installed the same way, loose & no loctite.

10. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Its not really a structural fastener. It just holds the shift drum assembly together. But yeah they should have done something about it. I wonder if its a harmonics problem specifc to the inline 4s. Most Suzuki sportbikes have the same "paw and sprocket" transmission set up and none of them have a big problem with the bolt backing out...
    No its a small sprocket besides and driven by the clutch gear. If you get fixated trying to line the clutch up with the crank gear, you could bend the oil and/or water pump shaft.

Fun fun.
    James

[This message has been edited by JamesG (edited 01-07-2002).]

11. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

it does happen even if you lock tight it
    twice this year leading a race both times
    made me loose a championship [​IMG]
    so if you ride a lot keep checking it
    its on all the new gsxr's 600,750,1000
    the oil pump gear is on the back side of the clutch basket if you don't line it up properly
    yo u will have problems.
    hope this helps
    Ricky

12. roy826ex

Well crap damned if you do & damned if you don't [​IMG] Loctite RED !!! I have mine scheduled to be repaired/checked/glued/whatever next week. Maybe I got the good one [​IMG] since it has not come loose in 5k miles. Prolly not so...so in we go only now it'll come loose for sure after I mess with it [​IMG] That is why I'm letting the dealer do it so if it comes loose I can say it was his fault [​IMG] no not really, the mechanic is just wanting to help me out a little. $70 bucks helping me out [​IMG]

13. brownrt

brownrt Well-Known Member

I did mine at the GNF this year, even though I had not had any problems with it to that point. It was really easy. Like everyone has said, the biggest pain in the ass was getting those gears lined up properly. It's about a 15 minute job. You should have an impact driver to get the nut loose. Once you pull the clutch plates out, just pull the basket off the shaft. It's the bolt in the center of the shift cam drum.

14. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

I am just curious why Suzuki hasn't made this a recall. Or have they? Even though it is a pretty easy process for the average joe to fix it, I would think it would benefit Suzuki in the long run to re-work the config.

Hell, they did it on the SV. Some of the 2000 SVs (mine was one of em) had some oil return plate (?) that was left out of a number of machines or there was some design flaw in the case. Not real clear on what the real story was with it. Without this part, the bike wasn't getting oil to the Crank shaft main bearing under high RPM loads. The letter stated that the engine could lock up and cause serious engine damage and injury to the rider. So they recalled it. Is this a posibility on the 01 600,750,and 1000? If so, maybe we could lobby for a recall. Make them fix it.

disclaimer: if a recall has already been noted, then above statements are to be erased from memory for fear that the author of said comments will be viewed as a dumbass.

I'm leaving myself wide open with that one. [​IMG]

15. roy826ex

Don't hold your breath on Suzuki doing squat! That has to be one of the most stubborn buncha people on the planet running that company. Yep my '00 SV650 was an affected puppy also. No problems to date since the fix. These GSXR's are different story in my book. You can't go anywhere on the net without hearing about the crappy trannys in the '00 750's & now the '01 600 & 1000's. Its a known fact their weak in more areas than just a little bolt backing out. Flip side of this is, what is Suzuki going to do when some street guy's bike locks up when this little bolt comes out & explodes the transmission/clutch assembly & he goes tumbling down the road possibly to his end. Yes I think they should right a wrong but they won't I'm certain of that. I had a '98 TLR so I know 1st hand how tacky US Suzuki is. They avoided me like the plague on that pile of junk. I also bought one of the grenade motor '97 GSX-R 750's with the wrong frickin crank bearings in it from the factory. 2 correct main bearings with 2 from a completely different engine [​IMG] they never could explain that one. They gave me alot of grief just repairing the pile of junk. The best product that I have bought from Suzuki in the last 7 years are the 2 SV650's that I currently own. Knock on wood but not 1 problem on either one.

I love the GSXR's but my love is running thin these days. [​IMG] I think I'll carry this one step further since I'm in a typing mood, I'm going to send them a nice letter just to let them know what I think about their nasty little shift drum/cam whatever bolt. Won't do any good but at least I will maybe feel a little better about it. Going to enclose my repair bill too showing that I had the little POS bolt loctited/welded.

[This message has been edited by Tailender (edited 01-07-2002).]

16. gregford61

gregford61 Well-Known Member

I pulled my 600 down in December after an unexplained crash and not only was the bolt tight but unless the factory locktite severely failed (hardened) there is no way that bolt was coming out. I had to wrench it to the last thread. My bike just had like 250 race miles on it so maybe it just hadn't had the time or abuse to back out. I have heard of racers even tack welding them!? Gone to far I don't know?

17. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

I have prep a few of the the gsxrs and some have blue loctite on them from the actory some did not Mine had the blue on it and it was tight. Take them out and wire rush them and CLEAN the threads tap them and break clean the hole blow out junk and use red loctite. The oil pump is easy just reach in and turn the oil pump as you put the basket in and it will fall in place them put the bgr. in the basket. use loctite on the basket nut too blue is fine here..