1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'00 R6 no spark

Discussion in 'Tech' started by booboo13, Oct 1, 2006.

1. booboo13

booboo13 Well-Known Member

I bought the bike just recently and put it on its maiden voyage at a track day in Pennsylvania. Its got about 7K miles and who knows how many race hours. The person I bought it from says the CDI box is part of the Yamaha kit bike package. I ran fine all morning on the first day and after a few sessions it started to sputter out when I was trying to push it to the max coming out of some high speed uphill turns. I'm afraid that the cause of my trouble might have been the bumps in the track that would violently shake me and the bike because the suspension wasn't dialed in. It would work on and off perhaps from being cool when it worked and getting hot when it started to sputter out. Finally I was going full throttle on the straightaway and it never recovered from the sputtering, I had to run the course off pace because I couldn't get any acceleration out of corners. I turned the bike off and thought that I might have had bad gas so I drained the tank and put brand new stuff in. After I put it back together it wouldn't start and I was getting no spark.
    I got home and later pulled the plugs and tested the primary and secondary resistances. On all four plugs the primary was in MegaOhms instead of the spec of .238 to .323 Ohms, and the secondary resistance was off on some of the coils. I tried fresh coils but they were the wrong kind,(wrong size and resistances were just barely out of spec) still got no spark. I'm waiting to get some correct working coils to see if that is still my problem.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused my coils to fry?