1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tundra or Tacoma?

Discussion in 'General' started by apchasse, Aug 12, 2005.

1. apchasse

apchasse Well-Known Member

Ok, what about the 4cyl Tacoma? Has anyone had any experience with those? Gas milage? I wouldnt tow anything big with it, maybe a 5x8 enclosed at the most..

I am just scared that if I get the tundra, or the v6 tacoma, and gas prices get way out of hand, even more than they are now, that I wouldnt be able to sell it if I couldnt afford the gas..

A..

2. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Better built??

I'm a service advisor at a gm dealer and they are freakin junk...the titan is built in the usa and it's ONLY downfall were brake issues.

The gmc's are ALWAYS in the shop for something.The interiors are about as dated as it gets and rattle like crazy.

I'll stop now.

3. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

You should stop. I have umpteen examples to counter your argument. All my GM vehicles had silly little problems.

Before I gradutated from college...I bought/drove a brand new Acura for several years. It was by far the worst POS for problmes I have ever had!!!!

People are actually suing Toy for pulling a mkt. scam in regards to claims the Prius gets 56 mpg. They are actually seeing real world 38 mpg. Also, since ya' got me started...one of the worst quality Toy cars right now is the Matrix....and the Pontiac Vibe is one of the better and built right along side the Toy @ Nummi plant outside of San Fran.

I'll stop before my patriotism gets the better of me. I don't care if the trucks/cars are built by Americans. They could be helping US mfgs. build cars and trucks....you know.....stimulating our own economy. Attitude buddy...attitude!:moon:

4. vizsladog

so what does gm use for the regulator motors in the power windows of buicks???

recycled alminum foil?? They go out usally after about a year or 20k miles,wich ever comes first.

how about almost every v6 gm motor leaking oil after very few miles at the intakes??

lets not take into account that gm products are WWWAAYYY
    overpriced.

we could bicker back and forth but the truth is,gm builds crap.

5. apchasse

apchasse Well-Known Member

Ok, so what about the toyota? There is no way I am buying anything but a toyota, no chevy, ford, dodge, or anything else..

I really dont have any experience with any of them, but I have been exposed to many toyota's, and decided thats what I want...

Any experience with the 4cyl?

A..

6. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

Do you know what the least reliable car in all of the US was last year according to Consumer Reports????

A Mercedes E320.....and because it has the silver star...people are brainwashed into paying ridiculous sums of money for garbage. Like I said...I drove the new Tacoma just the other day. Your BS on pricing does not fit there either...not from what I saw. I will help anyone I can purchase a brand of vehicle built in/or by a US company...GM that is....for thousands and thousands less than Toyota.

Besides...you still don't get the argument....so I am done..since you know the truth and all. That's the spirit..you work for a US brand dealer....and talk junk about the product they sell. Don't start crying..I am not picking on you...there are other jobs out there!:beer:

7. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

I have owned a Lexus IS 300 and now this Tundra , both are Toyota products and I can say that they both proved to be the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.
    :up:

8. vizsladog

but i know i won't go broke at a gm dealer's service dept.

When a us brand can make a honda quality product at a comparable price i'll buy one.

When was the last time you saw a gm or ford or dodge with 300k on it??

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

personally i wouldnt go witht he 4 banger. down on power for towing, and i bet it will drink as much or more doing it than a 6, and unloaded wouldnt be so much better either. if you are worried about fuel, dont by a truck - because non will give you good milage. some maybe a little better than others but the difference to me is negligable at best - especially when you consider the power loss with a 4.

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I bought a 2002 tacoma club cab used in 2003 with 13,000 mi. 2.7 4 cyl. and 5 speed was in it and since I didn't see too many of these used, I bought it anyway. I pull my 5x8 enclosed with it, but have to run pretty high revs. to make decent time.

It just turned 68,000 and the only problem so far is the rear speakers quit about 20,000 mi. ago.

I get about 20 mpg not hauling, and never really tracked it pulling the trailer. You'll give up about 20 HP to the 6 cyl., but a bunch of torque.

All in all, I wish I had the 6 cyl. The milage isn't that much worse, and it would be a better hauler.

11. vizsladog

ok,we will agree to disagree..:up:

12. ducman750ss

ducman750ss Well-Known Member

Tundra

I picked up a used low mileage V8 Tundra over the winter. Installed a K&N filter. I get 21 highway w/o the trailer and 11 with a 5x10 enclosed trailer carrying 2 race bikes,generator and 2 pit bikes plus gear. I would recommend the Tundra.
    T

13. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

dude...I got ya' on this one too! right up the street where I get my oil changed at Penzoil...a guy put over a million on his gm truck and gm bought him a new one! :Poke:

:moon:

14. vizsladog

Yikes...ok i quit.;)

15. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Amen. I'd always recommend at least a 6 cyl.....at least over a 4. The gas mileage isn't that much better and a 4 banger will barely get you uphill w/ the AC on....let alone with a trailer behind it.

Your mileage towing w/ a 4 banger will be worse than the V6 cause you'll always be wringing the motor's neck.

If you are that concerned about gas mileage I'd get a V6 w/ a 5 speed.

16. GixxerGarry

GixxerGarry Well-Known Member

ok

I have a Tacoma and I'll give you the REAL deal

03 V6 Pre Runner
    23000 miles

I get 18mpg all around sometimes less

Towing a 5x8 trailer from Pensacola Florida to Jennings GP (no real hills)

Trailer is open air, has a bike, 3000 gen, small tool box, tires, canopy and misc items loaded on it.

I get a REAL 10-12 mpg at 80 mph.

The trucks are solid but ZERO power and not much room, they are great for driving around town buy not the long haul.

I had a z-71 and I was lucky if I got 10 mpg.

17. bikejunky

bikejunky Well-Known Member

05 TACO

I recently bought an 05 taco and love it. I got the double cab with the 4X4. Gas mileage is around 19 mpg with 70% city driving and keeps getting better every tank. I only have 900 miles on it. I haven't pulled my trailer yet but it has more HP and torque than my old F150. The new taco has 145 HP and 282 lb. ft. The 05 has 5 more inches inside than previous years too. It is just as roomy as my old ford. That and it has all of the cool features like composite bed, active rail system and a power inverter in the bed.
    I love it and have no complaints. I would buy another one without hesitation.

Jeff

18. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

2000 Tundra here, just clicked over 92k miles on it (1800 round trip to Barber this past weekend).

The rotor thing is BS if you know how to drive a truck and don't ride your brakes, especially when towing. I just replaced the rotors on it before we left for Barber because they started to warp - *90k miles on the orginal rotors and they never had to be turned*. The only reason I put on new ones is that it was about the same money as having them turned somewhere and took us 20 mins in the parking lot.

If you get the 4x4 with the bigger suspension, it tows like a champ. Your gas milage, however, will suck. Towing our heavy haulmark 7x16 fully loaded with 4 bikes, tools, gear, spares, etc ... it gets 8mpg at 80mph. Back it down to 70mph and you get a bit over 9mpg. The lighter 7x16 I used to own was fiberglass shelled, had a lighter chassis, and the axles were more forward - with the same load I'd get 11mpg - The type of trailer you have really makes a big difference. (Should have kept that one and sold the shop's!). Towing a smaller/lighter trailer (6x10) with only a couple bikes and you'll see 12 - 13mpg no problem.

Other than that, this thing has been the most reliable and least maint vehicle I've ever owned. If I ever buy another truck (This one shows no signs of stopping soon) it'll be a Yota. The new Tundra is even better.

- Roach

19. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

No BS, Toyota issued TSB BR004-02 to address the front brake issues on 2000-02 Tundra/Sequoia. The fix involves 2003-spec calipers and pads that apparently have more surface area. So I mispoke, it is a rotor warpage issue but due to too small of caliper/pads rather than too small rotors. Now, you may not have had any issues but that doesn't mean an issue doesn't exist.

Anyway, if you're buying an '02 or older Tundra ask if the front brakes have been upgraded per Toyota's own Service Bulletins. Other than that, no issues and you'll love the 4.7L it's silky smooth and been around for a while.

20. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Correct. It means it only exists under certain conditions. For example, riding your brakes instead of braking hard and short, tailgaiting to where you can't just reduce throttle to slow the vehicle in traffic, and/or not using a trailer brake controller correctly while towing. This is why I noted it was BS if you know how to drive a truck and don't ride your brakes, especially when towing.

With everyone buying gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs to go to work and take kids to soccer, you have a whole lot of people who are used to driving passenger cars now driving 5k lbs trucks ... and warping the hell out of their brakes (Toyota is not the only manufacturer to find this out). If you drive it like a honda civic, tailgate all the time, and ride the brakes ... I have no doubt the things will warp very quickly.

- Roach