1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epoxy Resin for carbon fiber bodywork question

Discussion in 'General' started by E=MC2, Jul 15, 2005.

1. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

2. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

4. AustinClark

AustinClark Well-Known Member

where in the world did you get carbon fiber body work???:wow: :rolleyes:

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

It's not that hard to make if you have the patience to do wet lay-up.

6. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

that stuff will work - won't give you the strongest or niceest but without an autoclave and pre-preg fibers it'll do..

7. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

how much resin do you need for a front fender and a rear fender. Will a quart work, or do I need 1/2 gallon?

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Depends. How are you going to do your layup? Are you making forms, molds, etc.? For the CF to "look" like CF, you usually have to vacuum bag it, although peel ply can give decent results in certain cases.

Kurt

9. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

im not making the fenders, florida fiberglass works are and he only has polyester resin so i was going to buy him some epoxy resin. hes already got molds for the fenders, he'd just be making fenders from the existing molds.

10. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

I second the vote for west systems epoxy. they have all kinds of flavors, fillers, etc. it's easy to use. the stuff comes with pumps. one pump of resin + 1 pump of hardener and your'e kosher. they have microspheres and other schwag for filler. slow cure, fast cure, i've used it on sailboats for years, as well as carbon fiber restrictors i layed up for our VT formula SAE car. west is the best, and can be gotten on line or at any good boat shop. good luck.
    Dave

11. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Why? Isn't the reason you make your own bodywork is to save money?

Carbon Fibre...waste of money.

Material cost for bodywork. 10 yards 10 oz. glass. $100. 1 gallon of epoxy, $50-70. About 40 hours of labor.

12. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I'm not making my own bodywork? anyway is a quart enough for a set of fenders? or do i need to get a 1/2 gal

13. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

yep, quart fine for any fender. any wetting epoxy should be good enough, your not really concerned with strength.

you mold will have to be perfect, if you want to leave it bare, no paint.

14. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

so a quart is good for 2 fenders too?

15. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

you have enought for two fenders. 2-4 oz per layer. 3 to 4 layers