I believe I can fly.....

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkB, Jun 1, 2005.

1. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

I just got back from my annual week in the UK and I made sure I did a trackday, and I wanted to tell you all about it :D I went to Cadwell Park and rented a bike, just like last year. Here it is, together with Dave the guy who rented it and his lovely assistant Chrissie that took the trackside photos..mmmmmmmm :)

[​IMG]

Anyway, when I first looked at the track I thought I was looking at an access lane. I asked one of the guys there where the track was and he pointed to this ridiculously narrow strip of tarmac. I was genuinely shocked. It made Talladega look like Barber....

The R6 I rented was basic. It was down on power, had an R1 front end, and tipped in very fast. But it was definatly not a bad bike and the brakes were fine this time. They put me in the advanced group, but I chose to wear a yellow bib....but the track was very easy to learn and I felt I'd got it down by the 3rd session.

Most fun bits: at one point you crest a blind hill just as you click 6th gear :eek: ......and then there is this 2nd gear hill where you try to keep the bike from wheelieing....:

By the way the look in my eyes is actually panic. I cannot wheelie for shit normally and this was genuinely a new thing for me :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, cost of trackday was 80 pounds, bike was 120 pounds. 200 pounds = $370 including tires, gas etc etc.

And no, this is not an advertisement:rolleyes:, I paid in full - I just think it was really cool, and I'm starting to think I might want to try arranging trips for small groups to go to the UK and do trackdays for absolute cheap prices etc.....
    :beer:

2. holzerd

holzerd Oracle of Useless Facts

Any video for the next Roadrace DVD? I really enjoyed the one I got this year.

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That can't be Cadwell, it's not raining!

4. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

She tooks some GREAT pics though!

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

man i WANT pics like those. those are kick ass!

6. MarkB

Yup, she was a cutie.......and keep the comments clean, I might direct her to this link.....:Poke:

[​IMG]

...the UK's answer to Vicki....I wonder if she likes Coronas too..???

[​IMG]

7. SBK

SBK Misanthropic Anthropoid

Hehe - they all do, brother. It's a rule!

Awesome pics, looks like it was a great time.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

How close is that wall?

9. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

If the yellow bib means "noob," it didn't last to long huh?

10. MarkB

insanesly close. Where she was standing was about 20ft from where the bikes take-off....totally nuts. For some reason it didn't seem dangerous and they don't have incidents there....but yeah....

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yikes!

12. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Looks like Shenendoah!!:D

13. Glenn Foster

Glenn Foster Well-Known Member

Both wheels off the ground? Insane!

Very nice pics!

14. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

do they race at cadwell , atleast the surface looks nice, but its so skinny

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

If the wall is the same as it was in 1999 it's made of plywood. The "Mountain" circuit is the only track I've raced on that has scared me. There is a shorter 'club' circuit which cuts out the section you can see in the pictures, it's got a lot more run off. I've never liked Cadwell, it's too narrow and it was nearly always wet and/or cold when I rode there.

16. wera256

wera256 Well-Known Member

have you done Oulton park yet, thats a class track to go and race on.

John

17. MarkB

i kept it on a whole 2 sessions more than I needed to.......just to piss off some local fast-guys....
    I dont now why I have to do that...:(

18. MarkB

Yup, I did Oulton Park last year and loved it. Unfortunatly the bike they gave me had really crap brakes so I never totally got into it.
    Cadwell tops them all though. Although, I can imagine it would really suck in the rain.....

19. wera256

wera256 Well-Known Member

Should try Oulton on a GSXR1000 with good brakes, it's something else the speed ya can go is great. Island bend in 5th is fun.. I didn't make it to Cadwell this year yet but hopefully september time for a race weekend..

There is a picture of one of my mates on an 04 R1 coming over the mountain, he's nearly vertical and about 1.5 feet of the ground... very lucky not to have flipped it. He didn't do that again..

20. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Maybe cause "arrogant Americans" are rubbing off on you.Or maybe it's because enough American soil has been rubbed into you.:D