1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi vs fully synthetic ?????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Fassina4, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Fassina4

Fassina4 needing some sleep

I ran a search but no answer. What affect will have if I have been running Amsoil fully and I put Semi synthetic for the next oil change? Will it hurt anything? Its for a GSXR 1K 04'

2. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

as long as you have the proper oil level go ride it!! Dino oil or full syn....what little oil is left will mix.

3. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Amsoil full synthetic

If you want Amsoil, send me an email...........I can ship some to you.......ASAP.

[email protected]

4. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Why do you want to run a full synthetic and then switch? You should run the oil you plan to use and stick with it. Some manufacturers use PAO base and some use Esther base...there is a difference and they are not completely compatible. Some manufacturers use molecules friendly to both base stocks so the switch won't cause problems.

Actually, if you do some research on Oils you will find that there are varying degrees of Semi synthetiscs, depending on the marketing criteria and which nations is manufacturering the oil. :) In some cases, a synthetic blend doesn't even have to contain any synthetic oil.

Personally, I'd use the oil I plan to run in the bike and leave it at that. I run Royal Purple and don't often change my oil or filter. I believe it is ridiculous the way many racers discard perfectly good oil. Of course, that is my opinion and my bike. :D

HFD1Motorsports is right you probably won't have any problems but, it won't be because he is 100% correct. :D I swapped oils and had immediate clutch problems on my F3.

Take Care.

5. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

4-strokes are gross! what kind of engine uses the same oil for the engine and the transmission. and people get mad because 2-strokes are cool enough to use 2 different oils:D

6. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Remind us again when you're rebuilding your 2 smoker for the 3rd time this year Nick.

That's what oil filters are for, does your 2 stroker have any filters?;)

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Re: Re: Semi vs fully synthetic ?????

HFD1Motorsports is right you probably won't have any problems but, it won't be because he is 100% correct. :D I swapped oils and had immediate clutch problems on my F3.

I would like to see this one time just so I could lay the real problem to rest......clutches slip due to poor spring pressure caused by worn plates...worn out springs..wrong plate stack-up too much H.P. or PTFE or other friction modifier build-up..

Cars have differant size clutch packs for differant gears but the amount of frictions are some time less than what a bike has..Granted there is oil psi pushing them on instead of springs. But they are wet clutches just the same.
    I have ran some Auto transsmissions on Mobil 1 oil and they worked just fine..better than the atf...in High HP mustangs
    I saw many transmissions come in for a service with dirty oil we would flush them clean the crap out of the oil replace with fresh clean oil less the dirt and sure enough it would come back slipping. It was the dirt that was taking up the slack in the pack remove the dirt and then it would slip...
    So why would a differant oil cause a clutch to slip?
    Is the oil a differant thickness?
    Is the oil just super duper slipperer?
    Does the oil cause the engine to make more H.P.?
    If I found a oil that was making my clutch slip I would want to know why.....Is my old oil that crappy? Is it better lube less friction? Which in the grand scope of things would be a good thing right??
    Now the ptfe/Friction modifer stuff is bad for wet clutches it does tend to stick to the frictions but a oil designed for bike use should not cause your clutch to slip....

For the record I am NEVER 100% correct just look at my spellin:)

8. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

The metrakit 72cc sp enigne lasts a full year!! 2smokes dont need none filters, they are much cleaner majestic creatures:D 4-strokes are dirty evil beasts! :D

9. Charles Johnson

Charles Johnson Well-Known Member

Nick , come on, different strokes and all that. All bikes are cool.
    ( Nic is right about the Metrakits , They are pretty reliable and a complete Top End ( Cyl, Piston,WristPin,Wristpin bearing is cheap and easy to do yourself ).