Road A gearing

Discussion in 'General' started by andydavis, Sep 28, 2000.

1. andydavis

andydavis Active Member

Whats the hot gearing setup for a GSXR 600 at Road A?

2. Buckets

Buckets Well-Known Member

You can try 16/47 or 16/46 (2.94-2.88 ratio). These work well on my Production GSXR600. Whatever you may have ran at Roebling is very close to what you need at Road A. Good Luck!!

3. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

That's a lot of front sprocket to try and pull out of T7 isn't it? Wouldn't a 15/44 or 43 give you more grunt for exiting T5, 7, & 12?

4. andydavis

andydavis Active Member

I dont know what will work thats why Im asking YOU!!!! [​IMG]

5. PPR

PPR Well-Known Member

Andy, In 98 on a production GSXR 600, I used a 15-45 and it seemed to work great

6. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

My ??'s were aimed more at Buckets, but were left on the list for you to get an idea of how to discuss gearing issues, so that you can help someone in the future, silly.

Remember this. Dropping one tooth in the front is roughly equivalent to raising one tooth in the rear, and vice versa.

7. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

Dropping one in the front is equivalent to raising 3 in the rear.

8. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Oh, I thought it was one tooth down in front equals three up in the rear....am I wrong...again?

LEE'nR6

9. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Whew! I thought so....
    LEE'nR6

10. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Dropping one tooth in the front is roughly equivalent to raising [/B]THREE [/B] teeth in the rear, and vice versa.

Sorry.

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Just divide the rear sprocket teeth by the front sprocket and presto you have the final ratio. No need to remeber all that other BS. Or you could have a gearing chart with all fronts and rears listed. That way you can come up with something pretty close.

12. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

Check out Marietta Motorsports' website. They have a pretty cool gearing chart.
    I think it's in the technical link on their homepage. www.1888fastlap.com

Shane
    WERA#417

13. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Well, a 16/48 and a 14/42 are going to make the bike act way differently. Acceleration, Torque, Top Speed, and Suspension are all affected, plus you might run out or have too much chain.

16/48 might be good for the Bonneville salt flats, and 14/42 good for parking lot racing.

14. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Never mind...okay I will say something..this topic is getting out of hand... 3.0 gearing is 3.0 gearing no matter how you slice it. Ratio is a ratio whether its 3 to 1 or 9 to 3 its still the same. Different size sprockets will make the suspension act different as a smaller sproket places the chain in a different leveraged poition on the swingarm, but the gearing is still the same. The other thing to consider is wheelbase. A 14/42 is the same as a 16/48 but the first will result in a longer wheelbase (assuming you keep the same chain) than the latter. For what its worth...I ran a 15/44 (GSXR 750) in July and that wasn't tall enough. Planning on going with a 16/46 (roughly equivalent to a 15/43) but will make it easier to go taller only having to change the rear. Normally I gear slightly short so I can get a better start but at Road a the last thing you want to be is geared too low. The back stretch is too long.

Ryan

15. Zanyeights

...sprocket...position...

typing sucks...sorry.

16. Zanyeights

P.S. there is a pretty good article on gearing in the August 2000 issue of Sport Rider. It's pretty entailed and discusses percentages...only slightly harder than ratios...and can get you real close. Than its up to you to figure where you want to make trade-offs. Let me know if anybody is interested in the article and I will see if I can get it scanned into a PDF and email it to you. I also bring it to Road A at the GNF if you want to swing by the pits and take a gander.

Ryan #817 Novice.

17. wera122

wera122 Guest

Better to suck at typing than riding. I can't give away my gearing secrets as I need all the help I can get.

Good luck at the GNF Mr. National. [​IMG] See you there! [​IMG]

18. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

the first guy Buckets is a fast rider. dependind on your speed.it shoud be some were close.within one or two on the rear shoud be close. also always use a biger sproket on the front it lets the chain move
    more freely.

19. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

Hey Ricky, what are you doing at the GNF? Endurance only or what?

20. andydavis

andydavis Active Member

I have finished on the podium every (regional) weekend Ive participated this year. I guess my speed is above average but Im no pro [​IMG] Thanks for the info!! If I can make it Ill give you guys hell!! [​IMG]